My first R6 findings...

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Yuckfou157
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

My first R6 findings...

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Hi everyone, I wanted to share my first findings and questions after using R6 tonight for the very first time ever and directly into a show...
I didn't used any béta's before or haven't been fiddling with it before tonight, but of course, besides being very happy with the speed of R6 and some other nifty enhancements, there still remain a few questions....
#1; When I preview a clip it automatically stops after 4 bars, or 18, or 36, or somewhere near the end, am I the only one who's experiencing that? Preview-> pow gone...
Here's a video: https://www.facebook.com/michiel.block/ ... 839994357/
Kinda annoying as I use the preview A LOT....
#2; It seems I can't midimap my layer blending modes to a button on my controller as they are now grouped under a fold out menu?
#3; The midi mapping is so different from the old one that I probably need to read the manual about it, bummer, because I couldn't map some rotaries to functions like hue rotate without other sliders also moving, also when I set the mapping to "only this layer"?
#4; I think I remembered Joris, saying somewhere that unused columns could be removed all together instead of one by one, but I can't find anything about that or couldn't figure out how, any suggestions?
#5; The resizing of a bunch of clips at the same time, where's the sliders? As it seems now I can only use + or - buttons and need to do it for each clip individually....

That's it for now, tomorrow night 2 of using R6 and with my main controller in repair I'm forced to run my first few shows with just a korg nano instead of my APC and that really sucks
Night 2 went as expected, same problems as mentioned above but it works fast and stable, but still there's a lot that feels unfinished as if it's still in beta phase....

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: My first R6 findings...

Post by Joris »

#1) Works for me :/ Maybe something else in your comp is causing this? It's something we'd need to fix for sure, but it's not just setting the clip to BPM Sync which is causing it.

#2) Look at the new Group shortcuts: https://resolume.com/support/en/keyboar ... -shortcuts

#3) Ugh. Reading.

#4) Yeah, that was in the beta for a while, but we couldn't get it working quite right in time for the release.

#5) Try the Scale sliders maybe :)

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Regarding #1, I had a little time just now to test at home, with no output there's nothing wrong, with a fresh deck and some 40 loops scattered over 8 layers there's no problem, but a big deck with some 500+ loops and advanced output on gives this stupid preview bug where I just see a loop for a few bars aaaaand it's gone...

The mapping issues and reading the manual (and no ugh, I like to read, even manuals when I have some time...) will be addressed once my new ordered APC is in, 3rd in my VJ career, I wish the faders where a bit more sturdy :cry:

#5....Damn, I really really need to read the manual :shock:

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

So I tried to recreate the preview problem at home after being annoyed again this weekend working with R6.
What it looks like is that when you have a layer running loops on random whilst other loops are clicked the preview disappears when another clip is started, hence, my 150 glitch loops who create a malfunctioning effect when used like this combined with some other layers below make that when ever I use preview and the next glitch loop is started the preview is gone, again and again and again, because the glitch loops are very short and keep on starting my preview keeps stopping....
So is this something that's new or a bug because in R5 this was never a problem....

Daniel
Team Resolume

Post by Daniel »

We've hearing about this problem and this is the first time I see somebody actually giving feedback why this could be happening. I'm going to test this in further detail.

EDIT:
The problem is indeed when you have layers on autopilot; that ones one start; that the preview will be disabled. Probably there are more user cases why this could be happening.

I've created a ticket and we are going to take a deeper look at it. Thanks for the description, really helped!

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

From my side I am happy that it's really a thing and not something from my setup...
And of course more then happy to help, so if you need more or something let me know!

ncraft
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by ncraft »

We've recently updated to arena 6 and are having similar issues.

Can confirm that our preview window cuts out when a layer running a random autopilot switches clips. Glad it's not just us going crazy.

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

So a few weeks on with R6 and here we are now:

#1 The preview stopping is still a thing, but they are working on it...

#2 Midisettings, but especially color settings, are forgotten or gone when mapped correctly and I Start R6 again the next time, and yes, I do save the comp in between.

#3 The default option "selected layer" when mapping midi is my biggest enemy and I would love to have a checkbox in the preference window to select "this layer" as default.

#4 Stop mapping is now only in the drop down menu and whilst working a night and quickly assigning a knob, color or whatever takes more clicking then it used to be which costs time that I don't have.

#5 Switching decks is not faster then before, only when I load a simple deck with 20-40 clips in it the switching takes a few seconds, using bigger decks causes R6 to freeze just like R5 so I dunno on what machine the impressive firstlook clips where made, but my late 2013MBP doesn't do it. So I keep using 1 extremely large deck the whole night.

#6 Duplicate midisettings and trying to assign a color to the right setting can be a bitch and I have done this a lot regarding my previous post about blend modes (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15382 ) and while a lot of buttons work fine, some keep forgetting the settings and I have to do it again each show I have...

But don't get me wrong, R6 is fast, and luckily for me superstable, I haven't had any crashes or framedrops and when I had a framedrop it was caused by non-DXV loops but it didn't crash the system, BM intensity shuttle is working perfectly and every display connected is shown and works. So I am really happy with it, but still some things keep bugging me, hence this post and little kick of this topic....

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Yuckfou157 wrote:So a few weeks on with R6 and here we are now:

#2 Midisettings, but especially color settings, are forgotten or gone when mapped correctly and I Start R6 again the next time, and yes, I do save the comp in between.
Midi shortcuts right? Could you give an example?
#3 The default option "selected layer" when mapping midi is my biggest enemy and I would love to have a checkbox in the preference window to select "this layer" as default.
I've put up a feature request ticket.
#4 Stop mapping is now only in the drop down menu and whilst working a night and quickly assigning a knob, color or whatever takes more clicking then it used to be which costs time that I don't have.
Just hit ESC to exit mapping mode.
#5 Switching decks is not faster then before, only when I load a simple deck with 20-40 clips in it the switching takes a few seconds, using bigger decks causes R6 to freeze just like R5 so I dunno on what machine the impressive firstlook clips where made, but my late 2013MBP doesn't do it. So I keep using 1 extremely large deck the whole night.
Do you have many effects on clips?
Footage all DXV? What resolution?
#6 Duplicate midisettings and trying to assign a color to the right setting can be a bitch and I have done this a lot regarding my previous post about blend modes (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15382 ) and while a lot of buttons work fine, some keep forgetting the settings and I have to do it again each show I have...
same as $4? Again an example of which buttons does forget what would be helpful.
But don't get me wrong, R6 is fast, and luckily for me superstable, I haven't had any crashes or framedrops and when I had a framedrop it was caused by non-DXV loops but it didn't crash the system, BM intensity shuttle is working perfectly and every display connected is shown and works. So I am really happy with it, but still some things keep bugging me, hence this post and little kick of this topic....
That's great to hear!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Zoltán wrote:Midi shortcuts right? Could you give an example?
Like tonight, I used exactly the same deck as last Sunday and again, 4 of the buttons that I have mapped for blend mode where not working, mapped them back as they should, little bitchin' with them about on/off lights (it's the lowest row on my APC, with the "bars" written under them) and saved the comp, halfway thru the night, one of them didn't work anymore, no switchin, no light nothing so I dragged the clip unto another layer and used that one, and was to busy to remap the button.
I've put up a feature request ticket.
Thank you, that would be really helpful!
Just hit ESC to exit mapping mode.
Thank you, a little thinghy that's good to know!
Do you have many effects on clips?
Footage all DXV? What resolution?
None, I don't use FX on clips, everything is converted to DXV3 normal Q with Alpha in 1920x1080...
same as $4? Again an example of which buttons does forget what would be helpful.
See my first answer, the most trouble comes from the buttons that I mapped for the blend modes as explained by Joris in that other thread, it works, but that's everything said, it's far from ideal as the old 3 button row for blend mode was...but we'll keep trying!
That's great to hear!
It's not all bitching and wining, sometimes it looks likes it, but I'm getting more and more used to the way the GUI is build and while I'm not happy with some stuff, the whole program is stable and fast and I don't have all the problems others are talking about...
Maybe because they try to freak lots and lots more then me, maybe because they do less but bigger shows as I use R6 2/3/4 times a week doing smaller and bigger shows and I really need it to be stable, trusted and working and I get really grumphy when it doesn't. :D