runing R5 and R6 at the same time

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

runing R5 and R6 at the same time

Post by yochee »

Hi,

I really like to work with R6 but I have some neat 32bit ffgl plugings (R5) which have not yet been converted to 64bit. Thought I could spout these text animations from R5 to R6 but I can't open R5 while R6 is running and can't open R6 while R5 is already running.

Anyone else having this issue?

(Windows 8.1, GTX 1060..)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: runing R5 and R6 at the same time

Post by Zoltán »

Yeah, that's not possible on windows.
Works on a mac though.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

yochee

Post by yochee »

damn

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If you have a spare machine, you could run R5 on that and Spout->NDI to Resolume 6 on the other machine via Ethernet.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

Could running one program as a different user on the same computer work under windows?

Also, I found a small bug when doing this on OSX. R6's comp FPS will be set to 5.x when you launch R5. I'm referring to the composition FPS setting under comp>settings...

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

DayVeeJay wrote:Could running one program as a different user on the same computer work under windows?

Also, I found a small bug when doing this on OSX. R6's comp FPS will be set to 5.x when you launch R5. I'm referring to the composition FPS setting under comp>settings...
I would guess not as the same resource/service is still running across the entire platform, regardless of which user is tapping into that resource/service. I think the problem is that you can't have two instances of the resource/service "arena" running.
Could be wrong though? :)

AdevProjects

Post by AdevProjects »

On windows if you go to computer mangement -> users and groups and then create a new user, you can then run Arena as that user using the the "runas" command that you could put into a shortcut. I used command prompt:

runas /user:<UserName> <program>

You may have to specify and enter the user's password to start the program. Resolume data is saved the same as normal except under the other users home folder.

I tested that both versions 5 and 6 can run at the same time - have not tested how this impacts performance if at all.

That being said: It doesnt sound like a good idea at all to be running 2 instances (and versions) of Resolume at the same time.

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

What t13 describes is exactly what I was talking about. I'm glad to hear that it works

yochee

Post by yochee »

Sure I could use a second machine but in my clubs often there isn't enough space to set up two machines (bar table 80x80cm etc.)

Performancewise I wouldn't load too many stuff aka a whole VJ set in R5 alongside R6 as I can't play live in two apps anyway (switching windows, no way). It's just about loading my beloved old flash content and using text animations with FFGL plugins that haven't been ported to 64bit yet.. Anyway I guess my computer would still run two instances of Resolume without sweating too much (R5 only uses 3GB Ram, not too big composition, good experiences running vvvv besides R etc..)

it would be great if arena.exe would just be re-named into arena5.exe and arena6.exe. Or maybe Resolume 2.41 with Spout output. Shouldn't be impossible :P