Play SWF files in Arena 6.

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
benspilker
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Play SWF files in Arena 6.

Post by benspilker »

I'm confused. For some reason I can no longer play swf files in v6? I know version 5 was capable of it. Why?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Play SWF files in Arena 6.

Post by Zoltán »

Resolume 6 doesn't support flash and quartz composer files any more.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

bilderbau

Post by bilderbau »

Zoltán wrote:Resolume 6 doesn't support flash and quartz composer files any more.
hey, that cannot be true!!!!! i recognized it just now and its disapointing... for what is it good? why did i pay for an upgrade to r6?
what is the alternative for animations??????
hey bart, say something!
end of resolume?
hopefullly
torsten
live gigs for live concerts, small clubs, private parties,
r1, r2, r3, r4, r6
pc win10, macmini
midi evolution uc-33e
input video - flash - vvvv - heavy-m - kinect - livesound

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Flash is really, really gone. It was a great tool in its day, but it's 2018 now and it's a nightmare to keep it running.

If Flash support is a dealbreaker for you, you can always contact us for a refund.

bilderbau

Post by bilderbau »

resolume was the tool for combining video with animated vectorgraphics (transparent background, timeline control and resolution independency)...

@joris
if swf-files are a nightmare to keep them running in 2018, there are two questions for me:
1. why is nothing written on your homepage?
the actual resolume-specs https://resolume.com/software/specs (2018) say "flash and qc-playback and interactive control" - and nothing about flash-ending in the "what new".
2. is there any vectorgraphic support in resolume r6, eps, svg etc?

in your footage-store are many patterns (dashbase2, skatepark) seem to be vectorbased stuff, how are they made?

met vriendelijke groeten
torsten
live gigs for live concerts, small clubs, private parties,
r1, r2, r3, r4, r6
pc win10, macmini
midi evolution uc-33e
input video - flash - vvvv - heavy-m - kinect - livesound

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

the actual resolume-specs https://resolume.com/software/specs (2018) say "flash and qc-playback and interactive control"
Good point. I've updated that paragraph with the current feature set.
is there any vectorgraphic support in resolume r6, eps, svg etc
Vector formats are all CPU based, and not really suitable for current video resolutions. If you want to draw 'resolution-less' graphics in real-time, you'll want to use the GPU. I'd take a look at writing shaders: https://thebookofshaders.com/
in your footage-store are many patterns (dashbase2, skatepark) seem to be vectorbased stuff, how are they made?
Pretty sure this is all After Effects.

yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by yochee »

it's really sad that it is impossible to use Flash anymore. I have a library of 5000 swf clips, selfmade and from other sources, swf packs, flxer.net and so on. Many are interactive and the vector scaling makes them looking crisp even tho they are an "old" file format.

Maybe you could make these clips accessible again by upgrading resolume 2.4 with Spout? Or make a way so that we could use R3/4/5 in parallel with Resolume6

lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by lightbx »

It sounds like you have built an impressive library of Flash content, which I'm sure you depend upon, so you may need to invest in your own solution.

My recommendation would be to run all Flash content via Arena 5 on a separate machine, which is dedicated to this sole task. There are many affordable options, as you likely wouldn't need more than 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX950, which you can find for $700-800. ASUS has a laptop with 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 2.8GHz i7, GTX1060, 16GB RAM for $1000 US. (In case you want to be "future proof," even though this will be a Flash laptop.)

- Connect both machines to a network switch via ethernet, assign Static IPs.
- Output Arena 5 composition to Spout, use Spout to NDI (free), and capture the NDI source in Arena 6.
- Control both machines simultaneously via OSC. (They're already networked!)

If NDI gives you trouble, use a Blackmagic capture device––for a desktop, Intensity Pro 4K PCIe card (cheapest 4K solution); for a laptop, Mini Recorder (cheapest 1080p30 solution).