Another MSI laptop with issues :/

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Another MSI laptop with issues :/

Post by Grimm90 »

Hi ,

My resolume 6 / display driver is going bonkers when i fiddle in the advanced output...
I see a flicker on the screen , like the advanced output window is 50% disappearing for a short flash .
Then it can randomly crash , advanced output , preview and monitor boxes all go white on the work monitor.
For some reason the layers and projector output keeps running.
I can even save all the changes , reopen the comp and all is good..
If i don't do any mapping , just plain visuals to the wall , all is fine too.

If i am in advanced output , and its holding (i can open & just watch without crashing i think ,still the flicker) , but i start fiddling around it crashes. Managed to move some points and have 3 slices but then white out again.
And , if i go with my mouse 'off screen to the secondary screen' , instant whiteout.

That's like , really annoying.

I just got a new MSI laptop , gs63vr 7rg stealth pro with a 4k display and a GTX1070 max q , not the gtx1060 like i see in a lot of reviews..
But if i start Resolume ( force it to start from the gtx , that works ) , i will first turn my main display resolution to 1920*800 , having this display on 4k seems like tossing out fps for more info on my workscreen .
Could that be it ?

Running resolume 6 on windows 10 x64 , i updated resolume as they come.
The laptop is new , first it had a lot of msi stuff installed and for something was odd so i reinstalled windows 10 x64 pro after a format C.
Went on installing everything , nvidia drivers , was stupid installed nahimic too ..
After the problems i threw everything Nahimic out , but the issue is still there.
Capture2.JPG

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Another MSI laptop with issues :/

Post by Arvol »

What version of Windows are you running? Including the update. Can you click on Cortana and type in winver and let us know what you're using? Also, what driver version of Nvidia are you using?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This is another issue with our good friend Optimus. So far the combination Nvidia/Intel/Windows 10 hasn't really been a stable setup that works for everyone, all the time. The initial release of Win 10 had problems with Optimus turning the secondary output black. That was fixed on the Spring Creator's update, but now the Fall Creator's update brings this new problem.

To be completely sure you have a reliable setup, you'll want to get a machine that doesn't have a second Intel GPU. Or one that can disable Optimus via BIOS. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be an option on some models.

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

Hey Arvol , thx for helping me out !

Windows version is Windows 10 Pro x64 , version 1709 , OS Build 16299.125

I must admid , i bought the laptop new , and the pre-installed OS was doing so weird i did the format and reinstalled windows from a crack , as the repair partition of MSI only has their Msi Windows with all the issues (no control panel , couldn't install things , couldn't even open date & time settings).
I think thats the version & update version right ? the / winver command gives me the same results.
Device is also up to date with windows updates - last check 11/02/2018

Nvidia driver is (if i get this right from geforce) : Geforce Game Ready Driver : Versin 390.77 - 1/29/2018

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

O that doesn't sound fun Joris ...
So i'm reading there ain't a thing i can do about this ?

I checked the bios it looks quite oldschool , after an UEFI update still no settings ?
Has there been any contact with MSI about these issues ?

My buddy is using almost the same MSI , the "apache pro" , without any issue ?

So i just sold my kidney for a resolume license and a laptop that won't run it ? Please tell me that aint true :p

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

Would it solve anything to install win 7 on this machine ? Any other work around except going back to the store ?

Would another MSI model have a chance of running smoothly ?
Waiting for another update on the windows side ?
Does all higher end laptops have these issues ? Like maybe i can still swap it for an asus rog or an hp omen (didnt yet look at them specs, msi has nice keyboards , marketing won)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The problem is not linked to a specific laptop brand, GPU model or driver revision. It seems to affect people randomly across the board.

You'll want to bypass Optimus. So you can either:
- disable it in BIOS
- go back to Win 7
- do the monitor swap workaround. You can set your secondary output as your main display, start Resolume and drag it back to your laptop display. It will then work normally. This is pretty far from ideal during show though.

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

Allright thanks ! Ill try these work arounds today and report back :)

The display swap might just save my ass today.
Not so cool for live shows indeed, today i have to just play 4 files , each on a different screen , through a one slice mapping so it fits. We record that secondary output and loop that file from a raspberry for the next weeks (them artz installationz !)

Thanks !

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

jup i can confirm the "secondary display becomes main display and drag the window" workaround does fix it. Not a crash since , happy client , me happy , life goes on while i keep looking into a solid fix.

Contacted MSI support too but they take more time than Joris

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

Had a show yesterday with this laptop , 3x full HD output and laptop display as a full HD , 4-5 1080p clips playing at the same time , the laptop runs it smoothly at 60fps unless i start playing with too much fx.

The work around does fix it , but it is not a final solution i hope ?
For example i wanted to start a gamepad midi driver app and as one of the projectors was my main screen ,i didn't manage to get the box in my work monitor (changed some windows settings now which i hope will help there, the box was not a "windows+arrow" moving type or what u call it)

Contacted MSI , got this mail back :
Please update BIOS to latest.And use DDU tool to uninstall NVIDIA VGA driver then install the driver on our website 382.05.
BIOS:http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/nb/E16K3IMS.10F.zip
DDU:https://www.msi.com/asset/global/pictur ... 110-EN.pdf
NVIDIA Driver:http://download.msi.com/nb_drivers/vga/ ... d041be.zip
Tried that , no luck .

I can not find an option in BIOS to turn off optimus.
All the nahimic stuff and pretty much everything else i could think off has been stripped from this install.
Tried quite a lot of nvidia drivers no change.

So only option is the work around of secondary display or reverting to windows 7 ?
Any chance Nvidia , MSI , Resolume , Windows , i dunno who , will create a fix for this ?

I recreated the problem a moment ago to see if the MSI fix did it , it crashed resolume on advanced output after moving the box , ive send a crash report just minutes ago..

:(