R6 - Height ignored in Group

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Kadete
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

R6 - Height ignored in Group

Post by Kadete »

Hello, in Transform Settings of a Group, i can't set the height higher than the composition.
Therefore i can't use the Position Y on a group to fix, in loco, content location (e.g. lyrics).

I Hope that is a bug and not a feature :lol:

R6.0.5

Regards
Last edited by Kadete on Fri Mar 09, 2018 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: R6 - Height ignored in Group

Post by Joris »

?
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 14.38.34.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 14.38.34.png (30.34 KiB) Viewed 9519 times

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

Joris wrote:?

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 14.38.34.png
Hi Joris, you can set the Height on param, but visually doesn't change the area.
Try to move Position Y, It shows black "bars", the pixels are ignored/discarded.
Last edited by Kadete on Fri Mar 09, 2018 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Height controls the size of the texture you are rendering on. I think you're looking for Scale Y.

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

Joris wrote:Height controls the size of the texture you are rendering on. I think you're looking for Scale Y.
I don't want to change the proportion of my 16:9 content, my composition is widescreen (5760x1080)

Therefore the Width is filled, but i want to navegate though Y.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Maybe post a simple comp file, because I don't understand what is not working for you.
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 15.09.28.png

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

Joris wrote:Maybe post a simple comp file, because I don't understand what is not working for you.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 15.09.28.png
You are not fitting the width to the max.

Sure, at night i will create and send a comp/video. Thanks

Joris

Post by Joris »

Oh, your content is scaled to the comp size on the clip or layer? Yeah, in that case you can only work with the visible part of the texture after the scaling is applied.

Why scale to comp size so early though?

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

Joris wrote:Oh, your content is scaled to the comp size on the clip or layer? Yeah, in that case you can only work with the visible part of the texture after the scaling is applied.

Why scale to comp size so early though?
Yes i have the Fill option on my background layers, because i have files of different resolutions.
If i change the Layer Height, the area is expanded, but on the group [Monitor] it is not.

And i like to have another group with 2/3 Layers Router with the content Group as input. In that way i can trigger a group column to change between different mappings (without having to go to the advance mapping windows).

If you have a better approuch to obtain the same result I would love to ear.

Generally my comp setup:
1 group, 2/3 layers: strokes, chasers, fx, ...
1 layer: Messages (Center & L+R Mappings, single invert toggle btn)
1 layer: Logos (Center & L+R Mappings, single invert toggle btn)
1 group, 2/3 layers: Mappings (R5 was using chaser for this, now i use the slices feature :D )
---- (Non persistent, multi decks content)
1 group, 4 layer: Content/Background
----
[1 layer: BM Input]

Why the pos Y "request", group content with files resolution:
- 4k: [1-X] areas
- 1080p: [3-x] areas (no one likes "square pixels" :))

Joris

Post by Joris »

Well, you know how I think about Layer Routers and that using the Advanced Output to do more than one mapping.
If you have a better approuch to obtain the same result I would love to ear.
Sure. I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but here we go.

I use one advanced output preset where each slice samples the area from the composition correlating to where it is on the stage. I choose my composition size to contain the amount of pixels I need to properly layout my stage. So the composition is specific for each show. The slices are then translated and transformed *once*, to fit whatever the LED processor expects or projected surface requires.

In the case of custom content, this is then made to fit the composition and the layout of the slices that go with it.

In the case of generic content, I use a variety of effects on the layer to get it where I need it. Between basic Crops, Mirrors, Slides, Iterators and now the new additional Transforms and especially the Slice Transforms, I can do most of what I want for the average show. Several effects together make a 'look'. You turn looks on and off by linking the opacity of the effects that make them to the dashboard.

When mixing different resolution content, you can either choose to scale one to the other as you seem to be doing. Or you can create seperate looks that play to the strengths of each, such as screen filling 'looks' for the 4K stuff, and repeated, tiled looks for the 1080p.

Each of my layers will have the same effect stack, so that each look can be used on each layer. Bottom layers will usually be filling, higher layers will add accent footage in specific areas/slices/outputs.

To top it off, I use Chaser and several 'specials' that are generated in realtime, playing off the specific shape of the stage. Think of animated outlines, or horizontal or vertical wipes created from Gradients, that swoop the entire stage. I love me some swoopy swoops.

Only on really big, complex stages, I'll jump to tools like Angelo's Mapper to save me time on getting the looks dialed in, and recalling them easily.

Using this technique, I'm yet to come across an actual good use case for groups, and generally I think they clutter more than that they open up possibilities. Especially when crutching on using Routed Layers and now Routed Groups to do something that can be done in the comp.

But hey, that's just my opinion, man.