NDI Source with alpha - wrong alpha type? | v6.0.3

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

NDI Source with alpha - wrong alpha type? | v6.0.3

Post by subpixel »

It seems that Resolume may be using the wrong alpha type (straight vs premultiplied) for an NDI source coming from Adobe After Effects (CC 2017).

There is no Alpha Type option for the NDI source. Perhaps one is needed.
2018-01-23 Tue - After Effects NDI Resolume - bad alpha.png
The sample screenshot shows smooth gradients and edges on the bubbles in AE (on the right) and the left is a full-screen Advanced Output slice on an external screen. New composition with just the NDI source loaded in Layer 1.

subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: NDI Source with alpha - wrong alpha type? | v6.0.3

Post by subpixel »

I tried the Spout AfterEffects CC2017 plugin as a comparison; in Resolume the Spout Server source has an Alpha Type option. The default setting, Premultiplied, produces the correct result. The Straight alpha type option produces a bad result that looks like the sample NDI capture in the original post.
2018-01-23 Tue - After Effects Spout Resolume - premult alpha.png
Premultiplied = good :)

2018-01-23 Tue - After Effects Spout Resolume - straight alpha.png
Straight = bad :(

Daniel
Team Resolume

Post by Daniel »

hey subpixel,

We indeed only accept premultiplied at the moment on NDI. But for some reason, it is showing the straight optioned compared to spout.

EDIT:

I've tested the Spout option and with straight it indeed seems not be working completely fine. I'm not getting the same results as you with white borders. But I'm not getting the results that I'm expecting.

We will look into it and in the meanwhile, I would suggest to keep it on premultiplied with Spout

daveg
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by daveg »

I'm also getting the white outline (and compressed image) as if it were straight rather than premultiplied. I noticed it after I did the most recent update to v6.05. And definitely need that to work as intended! Has this been narrowed down to a Resolume issue? (not that I'm upset! love Resolume! just trying to find a way to fix this and still use NDI).

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

I notice the same issue with alpha on advanced output, when you send a screen to ndi.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Since first time with resolume, allways asked to myself: why isn´t there a multiply filter? Why? :(

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Since the first time you asked that question, I always ask myself: does he not know that's exactly what Solid Color Effect with Show Image does?