Font rendering and font finding

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Font rendering and font finding

Post by Sadler »

The font rendering has already been reported, I'm just adding my experience here in video form, which was a bit more efficient than screen grabs. You'll see that a good proportion of fonts have some corrupted letters, a few don't show at all (blank screen) and there doesn't seem to be much consistency. This video goes from "ACME Font" to "Gentium Basic" on my W10 machine.

phpBB [video]

Perhaps also mentioned is the finding/loading of fonts (Windows 10). Here is a partial list (A to Gabriola) in Arena 6 rev60446 (left) compared to another application (right).
font_list.jpg
Even between A and Gabriola, there are many fonts missing from Resolume's list, both TrueType and OpenType.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Font rendering and font finding

Post by Zoltán »

Sadler wrote:You'll see that a good proportion of fonts have some corrupted letters, a few don't show at all (blank screen) and there doesn't seem to be much consistency.
Did these corruptions appear for you after a crash?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

No, as far as I can tell, they've always been there in every beta.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Sadler wrote:No, as far as I can tell, they've always been there in every beta.
We're trying to find out right now how this happens, if this is happening while resolume crashes.
You can clear the font cache, it will be recreated for every font you use.
If these get corrupted again, could you post here how that may have happened for you?
Thanks!
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

As it happens, it may have been a crash that caused it for me too. My misunderstanding was that I was clearing Documents/.../atlas rather than AppData/.../atlas. Once I'd cleared down the correct cache, corruption was gone.

I noticed that most of the corruption seemed to happen in or near lowercase m. It happens that I am still missing an m in Constantia and Nueva Std though it is unlikely that I would ever use these.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

I think is not an easy task to parse and render fonts.
If you ask me, I will say any large overshoot is making the character crunch (just look those L).
Error happens on character's designs that goes beyond cap height, and think there's a normalized advance too (causing m letters to break).
Is like characters are fitted in a common box.

Yold
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Yold »

Hello,

I have a similar problem using "Painting with chocolate" font (you can find it on many font databases). It's a quite heavy font so maybe it's a different problem but it make it all the time with this font.

1) I open resolume and create a text block using this font, no problem.
2) After a few time playing with resolume (changing the text, creating a new text block, ...), some randomly chosen characters of the font get corrupted.
3) I quit resolume, delete the font inside the atlas directory of resolume and "goto step 1"...

I hope it can help,
Yold

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I have a laptop that's doing this as well. Certain font's give a weird output, but when I try it on the exact same setup (same machine and res build), I can't re-create the problem, so I wasn't sure if this was a resolume problem or a windows problem on that machine?

What would be a good step to try on that machine?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Arvol wrote:Certain font's give a weird output, but when I try it on the exact same setup (same machine and res build), I can't re-create the problem, so I wasn't sure if this was a resolume problem or a windows problem on that machine?
This doesn't seem to be related to the font used, happens sometimes with the default Arial font too.
The solution is indeed to clear the font cache in the Atlas folder, but that can only be done when Resolume is not running, so it kinda sucks as a solution.

Which Resolume versions are you using where you see this?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote:
Arvol wrote:Certain font's give a weird output, but when I try it on the exact same setup (same machine and res build), I can't re-create the problem, so I wasn't sure if this was a resolume problem or a windows problem on that machine?
This doesn't seem to be related to the font used, happens sometimes with the default Arial font too.
The solution is indeed to clear the font cache in the Atlas folder, but that can only be done when Resolume is not running, so it kinda sucks as a solution.

Which Resolume versions are you using where you see this?
No worries.
It was 6.0.7 and just on arial. sounds like a quick fix :)