Autopilot BPM sync problem

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
jamonn
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Autopilot BPM sync problem

Post by jamonn »

Hello,

I downloaded the demo version of Resolume some time ago and I have to say that the design and usability of the software is absolutely wonderful. However, I haven't found a solution to one problem.

I'd like Resolume to trigger clips, images or generators in BPM sync one after another. I have tried achieving this by populating a layer with 16 .jpg images, setting them to BPM sync and their time to 1/4 beats, and then setting the layer's autopilot to "next". After a couple of seconds the triggering goes out of sync. I also tried this with video clips (really short clips as well as adjusting the timelines in Resolume), Resolume's native "Solid Color" generators, different BPM sync properties for clips and setting the Autopilot on each clip rather than the whole layers. Nothing seems to work, and Autopilot start getting ahead of tempo fairly quickly.

I have a mid 2017 Macbook Pro, 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz, Radeon Pro 555 2048 MB.

Thanks,
Jari

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Autopilot BPM sync problem

Post by Zoltán »

Could you send us a video of this happening?
Thanks!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

jamonn

Post by jamonn »

Hello,

Sure, here you go. Same thing happens with any kind of clips.

https://youtu.be/yzEoSHOF6AQ

-Jari

AdevProjects
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by AdevProjects »

Do you have beat snap enabled either for the whole composition or those clips? - it looks like in your video the clips dont wait to trigger with the bpm but trigger instantly when you click the clips.

jamonn

Post by jamonn »

Hi,

If I enable beat snap, everything stays in tempo. However, then I can't achieve the 1/16 triggering, since the fastest beat snap there is is 1/4 bar. I would have to multiply the tempo by 4, which doesn't sound very convenient.

In any case, shouldn't the clips keep tempo even without enabling beat snap?

-Jari

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

jamonn wrote: In any case, shouldn't the clips keep tempo even without enabling beat snap?
Not necessarily, if the clip's actual duration is not exactly the same as a multiple of a frame time.
The next clip can only be started on a render pass.
The rendering runs at the frame rate you see in Resolume if you enable Show FPS in the Output menu.
So when a clip would end somewhere between render passes, the next clip can only be launched some time later.
This can get your clips to be launched out of sync with the beat ticker after some time.

Does this make sense?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

jamonn

Post by jamonn »

Hi,

Kind of makes sense, sure – I'm just wondering why the rendering isn't decoupled so that the effect wouldn't be cumulative? Does Resolume "count" a frame length for images and generators as well?
Zoltán wrote: So when a clip would end somewhere between render passes, the next clip can only be launched some time later.
Clips, images and generators seem to always trigger too early rather than with a delay.

Anyways, you'd say that the 1/16 triggering in tempo isn't possible without a third-party sequencer of some sort?

-Jari

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

jamonn wrote:Anyways, you'd say that the 1/16 triggering in tempo isn't possible without a third-party sequencer of some sort?
Looks like you need indeed an external timer for it that's independent of the frame rate.

BTW, do you know, you can import image sequences as one clip into Resolume?
Wouldn't that work for what you are trying to do?

phpBB [video]

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

wow neat trick with the sequence , thx !