Input Resolution Datapath X4

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Wasko
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Input Resolution Datapath X4

Post by Wasko »

Hi all,

I just picked up two Datapath x4's.

I've read about the technique where you can split an input resolution of 3840x2160 @ 30Hz to 4 output @ 1920x1080.

My issue is that my computer will not detect the output (or allow me to modify the port's resolution) any higher then 1680x1050, despite the Datapath's preferred settings in Wall Designer. I am using a Displayport to DVI-D adapter to go into the Datapath. I'm on Windows 7.

Every description of this technique I've read hasn't included any information about the steps to take to actually achieve it, or my specific problem. I'm sure I'm just missing something and would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Input Resolution Datapath X4

Post by Oaktown »

You need a dual-link DVI adapter to send a 4K signal.

Also here is a video I made a while back that may help you set up the X4 in Arena.

phpBB [video]

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Hi Oaktown,

I've been looking through all of your posts & videos concerning the Datapath x4, so thanks for the wealth of knowledge.

I am using a Displayport to DVI-D Dual Link cable, the one seen here:

https://www.primecables.ca/p-347380-cab ... -3ft-white

Still, I am not seeing the needed resolution in my display settings. I've tried re-detecting the input after changing the preferred mode in Wall Designer.

Any ideas?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Wasko wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 17:41 Hi Oaktown,

I've been looking through all of your posts & videos concerning the Datapath x4, so thanks for the wealth of knowledge.

I am using a Displayport to DVI-D Dual Link cable, the one seen here:

https://www.primecables.ca/p-347380-cab ... -3ft-white

Still, I am not seeing the needed resolution in my display settings. I've tried re-detecting the input after changing the preferred mode in Wall Designer.

Any ideas?
That won't work, mainly because the link you reference states it's a 1080p model. If it doesn't have 4k plastered all over the place it probably won't handle it.

My rule of thumb is that if it isn't powered by USB it won't send 4k out via DVI.

Below is the model that i used when touring with an X4, the mac powered ones work nice too.

example.
http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-ada ... me-theater

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

My rule of thumb is that if it isn't powered by USB it won't send 4k out via DVI.
The other rule of thumb is that unless it cost ~$100, it’s probably not a dual-link adapter!

M

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Oaktown wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 22:05
The other rule of thumb is that unless it cost ~$100, it’s probably not a dual-link adapter!

M
Much smarter then the USB way of thinking. The cost def is always true.

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

drazkers wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 05:54
Oaktown wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 22:05

M
Much smarter then the USB way of thinking. The cost def is always true.
Thanks for information, this is making more sense.

Drazkers, the website you linked to shows an adapter that has a max resolution of 2560 x 1600.

At first glance, the adapter appears to not handle the 4kx4k as we've been discussing.

The technique at this point would be send 3840x2160 @ 30Hz and it will bypass the listed resolution for this adapter? Or do I need a different one with a higher max resolution?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Drazkers, the website you linked to shows an adapter that has a max resolution of 2560 x 1600.
As a reminder, cables don't know resolution so it's all about max throughput so if the adapter has a "max" resolution of 2560x1600/60 then it can handle 3840x2160/30 or 3840x2400/30 or 4096x2160/30 in Coordinated Video Timing with reduced blanking (CVT-R) but not in CVT.

Right now, I've got a show running with a Datapath X4 at 3840x1200/60 for (2) WUXGA projectors side by side and no issues whatsoever.

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

I also purchased some of these:

https://www.primecables.ca/p-306660-ada ... rimecables

These were intended to go from the Datapath to the projectors.

You can see on the webpage, they're listed as supporting DVI-D (dual link) resolutions. Price is too good to be true, I guess. I had less suspicion of Prime Cables being snake oil salesmen then random sources on Amazon, etc. (Though I'm having better luck on Amazon now).

I'm now trying these adapters with my datapath and getting the same max resolution of 1680x1050.

Does changing the preferred input resolution actually change what my computer is seeing on the output? Or (with the correct adapter) my computer see all available resolutions for the device?

When I plug my computer monitor in through one of these adapters 1920x1080 is detected, so there must be something I can change in Wall Designer. My computer seems to detect 1680x1050 regardless of settings.

Thanks

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

My computer seems to detect 1680x1050 regardless of settings.
Have you programmed the EDID on your Datapath?