.Mov h.264

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Vjcheshire
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

.Mov h.264

Post by Vjcheshire »

Ever since the last 2 updates all of my .Mov h.264 files are acting strangely. I know I need to convert everything to DXV3, but they all were working in R5 and R6 up until lately. They sometimes play.. sometimes dont. Sometimes they start about a minute after the clip is triggered and sometimes they just stop in the middle with no notice. Not sure what changed to make this happen or if its just a bug that I am experiencing on OSX.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: .Mov h.264

Post by Zoltán »

Indeed, it looks like there is something off.
I see improvement at an Audio buffers size of 512.
What is the buffer size setting you see this with in Resolume preferences?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Vjcheshire

Post by Vjcheshire »

I have my Buffer size set to 2016. I'll test and see if 512 gives me better results.
Thanks

Vjcheshire

Post by Vjcheshire »

Updated to the newest Res 6.0.11 and newest Mac OS. The problem is still there with h.264 codecs, except its even stranger now. If I click on the videos, they may or may not show up. If they do not, if I open preferences, they open up just fine. Playback is still a little wonky and sometimes they just freeze, but it works 90%. Very odd that opening up preferences makes the video appear.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Having the same strange behaviour here too.
Noticed when a clip don't play..
I lauch the file from finder, play it, and then starts showing on arena.
Sometimes pausing the clip and resume playing fix it.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This sounds very much like problems that occur when playing back any interframe compressed format like h264/mp4/... at anything else other than regular forward playback at normal speed.

Our main use case for these type files is that they're handed to you at the last minute and need to go on screen right now. At this point, you can load in this file, trigger it, and it will start playing back as expected. Promotor is happy, which means you're happy, which means we're happy, so everybody's happy.

The problems arise when you leave this file in and start shuttling, bpm syncing or really doing anything else with it other what you would do when watching a video online on youtube. This breaks playback and the file gets stuck (if you want to get technical, it's because you're asking the file to display an P or B frame, without having loaded the corresponding I frame first). If you leave it on pause for a bit, then resume normal playback, it should pick up and unstick itself. This is also why playing the file in a different player sometimes gets it unstuck.

We're aware of the problem, and we agree that the file shouldn't get stuck. But you should really not use these files for this purpose. That's not what they're meant for, and it will always be less than ideal. It took FCP/Apple years to figure out a good workflow for editing interframe compressed formats and we have to solve the same problems, but in realtime.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Joris, mine isn't related to scrub over the clip, I'm aware of that. I setted up a keyframe on every frame and try a simple play, but clip don't want to play! :D Don't even load properly, thumbnail stay black.

Maybe we are facing the hardware limits, because recently noticed this occurs when I'm streaming a syphon output. If I turn off the stream, clips loads fine. :roll: