Urgent: Pls help: Problem with NDI streaming.

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
kevin
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Urgent: Pls help: Problem with NDI streaming.

Post by kevin »

Dear all,
I have problem with NDI streaming from Laptop (NDI sender) to PC (NDI receiver) via 1 Gbps with total resolution is 4K or 5K, it have drop frame (from 60fps to 30-40 fps) and frame still reduce when increase the output (17-20fps), the total output is 7 (6 for projector and 1 for monitor).
My PC perfomance is:
- CPU: intel core i7 7900X
- RAM: DDR4 16GB
- Graphic card: Quadro P2000 x 2pcs
I saw in resource monitor almost OK but I dont know why the frame drop.
Hope anyone can help me to solve this problem.
Thanks a lot.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Urgent: Pls help: Problem with NDI streaming.

Post by Arvol »

There's a lot that could affect this.

So you have 1 computer running Resolume 6 sending out a NDI signal into another computer running Resolume 6 that is physically connected to 6 projectors and 1 monitor for the Resolume UI, is this right?

On the computer sending the NDI signal, what is the fps?

On the computer receiving the NDI signal, what is the FPS with a single screen set to "Virtual output" for it's output?

I'm assuming the Quadro cards (not in SLE, right?) are connected to the computer that is outputting to the 6 projectors?

The two computers are on a dedicated gigabit network and hardwired right?
Is the firewall turned off on the router, or are you just using a simple switch and setting static IP's for the 2 computers?
On the computers, is Windows firewall disabled?
Is there anything else connected to this network?

On the computer outputting to the projectors, have you setup Resolume in the nVidia control panel's 3D settings to use the "high performance gpu"?

What is your composition size and is it at 8bpc?
Have you turned on or "force on" DMA in the video preferences tab?
When you start adding outputs, at what number of outputs added do you drop below 60fps? and then what number do you drop below 30fps?

Sorry for the 1,000 questions, but there's a lot that can cause poor NDI performance, most of the time it's network related.

BIG question.... Do you get the same performance in FPS when just playing a regular DXV3 clip rather than an NDI source?

kevin

Post by kevin »

Arvol wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 01:02 There's a lot that could affect this.

So you have 1 computer running Resolume 6 sending out a NDI signal into another computer running Resolume 6 that is physically connected to 6 projectors and 1 monitor for the Resolume UI, is this right? --> Yes, it is

On the computer sending the NDI signal, what is the fps? --> The frame i saw is 60fps

On the computer receiving the NDI signal, what is the FPS with a single screen set to "Virtual output" for it's output? --> only 30-40 fps when a single screen, it will reduce when I increase the screen to output

I'm assuming the Quadro cards (not in SLE, right?) are connected to the computer that is outputting to the 6 projectors? -->Yes, not SLE and it outputting to 6 projectors

The two computers are on a dedicated gigabit network and hardwired right? -->Yes, I used hardwired between Laptop and PC (HP workstation Z6)
Is the firewall turned off on the router, or are you just using a simple switch and setting static IP's for the 2 computers? -->I connected direct with static IP, not use switch and all firewall turn off
On the computers, is Windows firewall disabled? -->Yes
Is there anything else connected to this network? -->I disable wireless card in both of all, they connected direct so dont have anything connected to this network

On the computer outputting to the projectors, have you setup Resolume in the nVidia control panel's 3D settings to use the "high performance gpu"? --> I need re-check, not sure set or not because when I monitor performance of graphic card in Nvidia control pannel with 6 outputs only around 30-40%

What is your composition size and is it at 8bpc? -->Yes, at 8bpc, the composition size is 5000x3000 because the file is 5K
Have you turned on or "force on" DMA in the video preferences tab? --> You mean setting on Resolume UI?
When you start adding outputs, at what number of outputs added do you drop below 60fps? and then what number do you drop below 30fps? --> From 2 output, with each output adding outputs it will drop a bit, 6 outputs still remain 17-18 fps

Sorry for the 1,000 questions, but there's a lot that can cause poor NDI performance, most of the time it's network related.

BIG question.... Do you get the same performance in FPS when just playing a regular DXV3 clip rather than an NDI source? -->I also copy clip and play direct in the PC, the frame around 50 fps, after that I used other PC with GTX 1080Ti, run smother,60fps
Hi Arvol,
I am very happy with your reply and sharing, this is first time I used NDI for streaming with a lot of outputs.
Now I am intend change the graphics card to P4000 and use with Blackmagic capture card but not sure will better or not.
Hope you can help me to find the best way to solve it.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

5000x3000 is 1.8x the size of typical UHD (3840x2160) and 3840x2160/60 could be pushing 500Mb so you might be pushing the limits of your 1GB network and you might want to step it up to a 10GB network!

What kind of ethernet cables are you using and what length?

kevin

Post by kevin »

Oaktown wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 01:50 5000x3000 is 1.8x the size of typical UHD (3840x2160) and 3840x2160/60 could be pushing 500Mb so you might be pushing the limits of your 1GB network and you might want to step it up to a 10GB network!

What kind of ethernet cables are you using and what length?
If too big I can reduce to 4K (4096x2160).
When I monitor the bandwidth of NIC card with 4K clip is around 150-250Mbps.
I use Cat5e and also tried cat6, the length is 1.5 and 2m
Many thanks,

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Could you try to reduce the comp to 5000x3000/30 to see how it behaves?

kevin

Post by kevin »

Oaktown wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 08:31 Could you try to reduce the comp to 5000x3000/30 to see how it behaves?
Many thanks,
I will try this but anything advise about content? Need reduce quality from 100 to 50/60....
And my server spec is:
- CPU: core i9 7900X
- Ram: 32GB DDR4
- GPU: Quadro P2000 x 2pcs
With this configuration is OK?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

The fact you're hitting 30-40 FPS with virtual monitors makes me think the 2000 series quadros are not up to handling 6 outputs. Because thats when it drops down too much, when you enable outputs. Also the fact the 1080ti seems to be alright.

You may be alright with a 4000 card attached to monitor(processing card) and a 2000 just for extra outputs.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

P2000 is more in line with GTX 1050ti or 1060. Also, th P series is more of for workstations so unless you can step up to the P6000, my recommendation would be to go with a GTX 1080ti and a Datapath FX4 to get 1 UI + 6 displays.

kevin

Post by kevin »

drazkers wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:10 The fact you're hitting 30-40 FPS with virtual monitors makes me think the 2000 series quadros are not up to handling 6 outputs. Because thats when it drops down too much, when you enable outputs. Also the fact the 1080ti seems to be alright.

You may be alright with a 4000 card attached to monitor(processing card) and a 2000 just for extra outputs.
Dear Drazkers,
Thanks for your kindest support,
I will try change to P4000 and run with P2000 or option 2 is try GTX1080Ti with P2000 but with this option not sure the server can run stable or not because 2 GPUs diffirence model and clock maybe will make some unstable when running.
Pls advice,
Many thanks,