So...2016 Arena 5....smooth video playback????

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
pxevents
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: So...2016 Arena 5....smooth video playback????

Post by pxevents »

regarding to the topic ... so 2018 - almost 19 and still no chance to play video smooth like in miniplayers such as vlc or quicktime ... isn`t there a chance to implement a primitive external player just for video playback without further vjing options such as effects and so on ??? most of my time i work on corporate events and the only thing that doesn`t work is the simplest thing any 25 dollar 1 chip pc can do ....
i would really need SMOOTH PLAYBACK .... 3 macbooc pro`s 1 fatmapper with 1080ti, bm decklink and 40 lane board ... 2 Licenses A5 and 2 x A6 so not new to the problem and game ... :-(
any Resolume Team Solution coming ???

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We've done a lot of work on playback smoothness, especially with the release of 6. Playback is super smooth now.

One of the tests we now do is to play a 60 fps clip that alternates between black and pink frames, exactly on every frame. This is a really good way to see if the player plays smoothly. Any dropped frames will show immediately because your eyes pick up on the break in the flashing pattern. Also pink makes me feel like a real man.

We have this file in DXV3, h264 and ProRes. When playing it in R6, DXV3 performs best out of the box. H264 and ProRes perform similar, but need to have the framerate locked to 60 in the comp settings. While you're there, another really good test is to lock the framerate to 30. This should result in a fully black or pink video, since the alternating frames are skipped.

Alley performs equal to Resolume, except that the framerate can't be locked. This means h264 and ProRes will judder occasionally.

Quicktime X performs really well with h264 and ProRes, on a par with Resolume locked to 60. There's an occasional drop, but that's it.

VLC performs horrible. It judders all over the place with both h264 and ProRes. If that's the level you're going for, I can honestly say Resolume outsmooths it front, left and center.

The files are attached. If you're experiencing differently, we'd love to hear from you directly to work out what's going on.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(122.41 KiB) Downloaded 526 times

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Here's my 30 fps phone filming the 60 fps pinky strobe video. Notice how the only black frame you see is where the video loops, and fully solid pink otherwise. It doesn't get any tighter than this.

Compared to VLC stuggling:

Yuckfou157
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Joris wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 09:43 Also pink makes me feel like a real man.
:lol: :lol: