Securing Media with a Dongle!

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
rupeshbhurke
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Securing Media with a Dongle!

Post by rupeshbhurke »

Hello there,

I need to encode the footages, loops or media etc. that is used with the Resolume to be encrypted in such a way that they can be used only on a PC with certain Dongle. For this purpose, we may need to do the following:

1. Encrypt/Encode the Media to the format that is not generally readable or playable except when a certain dongle is attached.
2. Write an Encode and Decoder that will be used by the Resolume to playback or use the encoded/encrypted media.

My question is this:
Is it possible to play a custom encoded media to be used in Resolume provided that the decoder is present?
If yes, how does playback in the Resolume work? Will, it automatically pick up the decoder to be used? If yes, what is the procedure for registering codec with Resolume? Or will it just pick up the codec from windows registry?

Any guidance is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

Rupesh

AdevProjects
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Securing Media with a Dongle!

Post by AdevProjects »

I think you would have do do this at the filesystem level using something such as VeraCrypt. https://www.veracrypt.fr

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

Surely this will have a massive performance hit?

AdevProjects

Post by AdevProjects »

There would be a performance hit (or it could be negligible for reading files?) If the encryption was hardware accelerated this would probably help a bit.

I have not done any testing myself to confirm what it says on the veracrypt website, but it does claim:
"Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted."

rupeshbhurke
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by rupeshbhurke »

Thank you all!

I think, I will explore VeraCrypt a bit before commenting further. I will update the status here.

Thank you once again

With warm regards,
Rupesh

sleepytom

Post by sleepytom »

I can very much see the purpose of this.

I'd suggest that you might branch HAP and make a dongle version of that. Hopefully it would be possible to maintain compatibility with the broad range of apps which support HAP then.

it's a good idea :)