Video latency.

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Video latency.

Post by cvanhoose »

Zoltán wrote:Ok, so its definitely not the TV.
cvanhoose wrote:USB C is the only option on the new macBooks
This one says it's thunderbolt 3 and supports 2x 4k @60hz:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thund ... apter.html
or this one, they look about the same https://www.startech.com/m/AV/Converter ... t~TB32DP2T
There are the thunderbolt docks which have hdmi or displayport too, their outputs are thunderbolt based for sure. They are a bit bulky to carry around, but it could be worth it if they perform good.
Ordered the sonnet, should be here Tuesday. I will keep you posted.
Fingers crossed.

cvanhoose

2017macbook= garbage

Post by cvanhoose »

Well, it is official. Thunderbolt3 adapter has same results. Too much latency. I have one last try with a display port cable from type c. Should be here tomorrow.

phpBB [video]

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Have you tried with a TB3 to TB2 adapter paired with a regular miniDP to HDMI cable?

cvanhoose

Post by cvanhoose »

Oaktown wrote:Have you tried with a TB3 to TB2 adapter paired with a regular miniDP to HDMI cable?
Thats a lot of dongles.
I figured the conversion to HDMI is just flaky. Worked ok on a couple out of several different brand monitors. USB to HDMI also eats a lot of performance from the CPU, thunderbolt3 to HDMI is the way to go if you need HDMI.

Good news today, I received my type C to DisplayPort cable. 15 bucks us. 4K@60 no problem with DisplayPort. No latency at all.

Here is a test with a single type c to DisplayPort cable ------>data path. The computer runs like a champ with tons of effects.
Its been a long battle with these things but, I am happy with them again. I use them to edit and the weight and size of them makes them a keeper.
IMG_2325.JPG
phpBB [video]

LightNFeel
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by LightNFeel »

cvanhoose wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:15 Update: the issue is the 2017 MacBook pros type C hardware causing the latency when the output is set to 30hz.
When set to 60hz, the only upturn is synced.
Hi cvanhoose,

From your experience, what would be your recommendation? I am really looking for something reliable, usable with a Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Barve a 2240x960 LED display.
  • Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter is limited at 1080p, when used at 60Hz. And expensive!
  • You mentionned USB C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz), CHOETECH USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI Adapter.
  • Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI 2.0 Adapter, that you recently tested, seems to be a much better option, with same price as Apple one, but with dual 4K@60Hz!
Any advice?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

LightNFeel

Post by LightNFeel »

Thanks Oaktown.

I will try to find dual one in my country (Switzerland), or from Amazon.

cvanhoose

Post by cvanhoose »

LightNFeel wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 09:35
cvanhoose wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:15 Update: the issue is the 2017 MacBook pros type C hardware causing the latency when the output is set to 30hz.
When set to 60hz, the only upturn is synced.
Hi cvanhoose,

From your experience, what would be your recommendation? I am really looking for something reliable, usable with a Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Barve a 2240x960 LED display.
  • Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter is limited at 1080p, when used at 60Hz. And expensive!
  • You mentionned USB C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz), CHOETECH USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI Adapter.
  • Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI 2.0 Adapter, that you recently tested, seems to be a much better option, with same price as Apple one, but with dual 4K@60Hz!
Any advice?
If you can use usb c to DisplayPort, go that route. DisplayPort is native from the port. HDMI has to convert from usb and will use some processing power doing so.
When I do need HDMI, I use the CHOETECH USB 3.1 adapter. Has worked well over the years. I also have the adapter Oaktown recommended, without issues.

LightNFeel

Post by LightNFeel »

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately my LED display supplier requires from me a HDMI output. So I will have to purchase such an adapter.

I think I have now enough information to go forward.