Application MIDI Map in Arena 6

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
karlskene
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Application MIDI Map in Arena 6

Post by karlskene »

Is it possible to open an application MIDI Map that was created with Arena 5 in Arena 6? I dragged one into the Arena 6 MIDI Shortcuts folder but it's not showing up in the shortcuts preset dropdown list in Arena 6.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Application MIDI Map in Arena 6

Post by Arvol »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain it won't work because:
They are two different styles.
R6 has different labeling ("this group", "this layer", "this clip", "selected group", "selected layer", "selected clip", "by position")
R6 wouldn't know what to do with your old mapping as the file structure is completely different.

Even though it took me about an hour to completely re-setup my mappings on my controller, I found it very "Fun" to do so.
I really got to dig into the new system and made some really cool new changes that I didn't have in R5.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Arena 5 shortcut presets won't work in Resolume 6.
The format of the files had to change to have the new features, and mapping possibilities.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

karlskene

Post by karlskene »

thanks, I agree the new system is better and totally worth the time it took to remap my APC40.

Speaking of which, is it possible to add modifier buttons to a MIDI shortcut to give it another function? For example, with the APC40 I use the 8x5 grid of buttons to trigger clips. It would be great if I could alternatively preview those clips (without launching them) by holding down another button like 'shift' while pushing the same button that launches that clip.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

In short, No.

If you have the time and patience then, Yes.

APC40's don't have "decks" or "layers"
If you buy a MIDIFIGHTER, iControls, Korg, or other midi device that does have decks, or layers, then yes, it would be easy.

By pressing a deck or layer modifier button, it simply remaps the entire controller front to a new set of midi values.
so deck 1 can be preview and deck 2 can be launch. simply press button (x) in layer 1 to preview it, then press your deck 2 (or sometimes an up or down button) to move to that deck, then press the same button (x) again to launch.

If you have the time and patience, you can install Bomes and build a deck or layer modifier button on your APC40.
lets use the shift button for an example.
You can build a modifier in Bomes that would simply take any midi note that's incoming and would remap it to the same note, 3-4 octaves higher or lower when the shift button is pressed.

You could even build a modifier in Bomes that would make the shift button a (resolume style) "piano" button, or momentary switch, rather than a standard on or off switch, so you could just hold the shift button down and preview, rather than pressing and releasing shift, then previewing, then pressing and releasing shift again to play the clip.

This is completely separate from Resolume as it's a different program though. So support for building hex syntax's would be better found on the Bomes forums. Or you could just buy a controller with a deck's or layers modifier button built in.

Personally, I prefer to look at what i'm turning on and off (ie. looking at my gui rather than just pressing buttons on a controller to see what clip I get), So I personally never fire clips from a controller, only fx and clip modifiers. I like to see the clips on my gui and fire them with my touch screen or a mouse.

Hope some of this info helps? :)

karlskene

Post by karlskene »

Thanks Arvol, that was very helpful! I will try Bome, but you also turned on a lightbulb in my mind about how it can be done with Touch Designer.

Still, it would be pretty cool if modifiers could be integrated into the Resolume shortcut mapping system.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

karlskene wrote:Thanks Arvol, that was very helpful! I will try Bome, but you also turned on a lightbulb in my mind about how it can be done with Touch Designer.

Still, it would be pretty cool if modifiers could be integrated into the Resolume shortcut mapping system.
Exactly! TD would be a great solution as well.

Since this is a feature that should be built into controllers, rather than applications, I don't see it happening any time soon? Maybe I'm wrong haha.
I'd start working on that TD patch :D

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

it would be pretty cool if modifiers could be integrated into the Resolume shortcut mapping system
We have a few ideas along these lines.

There's no technical reason why a Midi message cannot be used like a modifier the same way that the Shift or Ctrl keys can.

highstreetpictures

Post by highstreetpictures »

hi guys and gals

just got resolume - and i'm loving it. 2 days in and i have answered a lot of my original questions and i'm moving onto midi mapping with my maschine mk 3.

i have worked out basic mapping - or direct button to clip kinda mapping - but there are a lot of shortcuts available and i'd like to treat the shortcuts using more than one button/fader/pot - one shortcut - i'd like to use say like the shift key and a button already mapped... is this possible? is there another piece of software i need to download in order to accomplish this?

many thanks. simon

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

highstreetpictures wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 01:08 i'd like to use say like the shift key and a button already mapped... is this possible?
Should work out of the box with Keyboard shortcuts, probably not for midi.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu