relative fades using Qlab controlling Resolume

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mortenstensland
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

relative fades using Qlab controlling Resolume

Post by mortenstensland »

Hello

Im experimenting with controlling Qlab using OSC. Its working nicely, but one thing that Im not able to do is to what in Qlab is called relative fades. For example, I would like to remote-control a fade which moves the picture to the left by 320pixels over 4 seconds. I am only able to do absolute fades: for example move the picture from position 0 to position -320.

Has anybody been in a similar situation and found a solution to this?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: relative fades using Qlab controlling Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

What you could do would be to set the position parameter to timeline.
Set the timeline to paused and one shot, set the range to your start and end position values, and set the speed to something low that matches the time you need the move to happen.

Then when your Cue comes, you'd send a single OSC message to set the parameter play direction to forwards.
Képernyőfotó 2018-12-29 - 12.36.02.png
If you need more interactive control, you'll have to set the positions constantly over the 4 seconds with different positions.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Or you could simplify the process and use Qlab 4 with a Network Cue set to 1D fade ;)

For instance if you want to move clip 1 in layer 3 you would use the following syntax:
  • /composition/layers/3/clips/1/video/effects/transform/positionx #v#
use the following normalized value to move 320 pixels to the left
  • 0.5-320/(16384*2)=0.490234375
and set the time value to:
  • 00:04.000
Take a look at this video:
phpBB [video]

mortenstensland

Thanks a lot for replies and the video, it explains a lot. However, I'm not sure if you understood what I meant by "relative" fades: with this I mean that the cue should tell the picture to move 320 pixels to the left, regardless of what the original position is. so if the x-axis of the clip is currently at 1320, after the relative fade the clip will be at 1000. With the osc-cue in the previous post, the picture will first jump from 1320 to 0, then fade to -320.

Zoltans idea is good also, it could be simpler to keep as much possible inside Resolume. Sometimes though it seems that the "speed" settings is a bit tricky to work with, it would be easier if "speed" could be replaced with "fade time".

What I think I will do in my workflow, is to use the dashboard-controls, and remote-control that from Qlab using 1d fade.
/composition/layers/1/clips/1/dashboard/link1
Then I can tune the starting and end-point of the parameter using parameter controls in Resolume, use the OSC-command for the dashboard-controls, and always set the fade in Qlab with 0 starting value and 1 end value. This will also make programming in Qlab easier. For every automation there will only be the dashboard-cue, and I won't need to convert the values from a resolume-value to something between 0 and 1 (like was done in previous post) because the qlab-fade always goes from 0 to 1.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I'm no Q-Lab guy, so I don't know how useful this is, but you can set position via OSC using both pixel values by using string "a" as the first argument and the integer value as the second.

/composition/layers/1/clips/1/video/effects/transform/positionx a 320

And you can also do relative value by specifiying a string "+" or "-" as the first argument and the value you want to move by as the second.

/composition/layers/1/clips/1/video/effects/transform/positionx - 5

https://resolume.com/support/en/osc#absolute-values
https://resolume.com/support/en/osc#relative-values

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Joris, it seems that when you use an operator the following value is treated as a float not an integer. It works fine if you use the corresponding normalized value (such as -0.009765625 for -320) for a zero count cue but it doesn't seem to work with a fade because it keeps subtracting the normalized values that are sent every time the OSC string is sent (Qlab can send OSC messages from 1fps to 120fps) so it's impossible to control the end value! is there any way to combine "-" and "a"?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

BTW, Resolume only supports OSC via UDP, and UDP packets can get lost on the network.
So I wouldn't recommend using relative messages to be used unless you don't care if a packet or two gets lost, and the final value of a parameter is not what you calculated.

Does Qlab support OSC output via TCP?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

mortenstensland

Qlab only supports output via UDP.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/q ... ZjXipLCAAJ

If messages can be lost through OSC then perhaps it is better to use midi to control Resolume?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15972&start=10

The show I'm working on requires the cues to be fired from Qlab because the operator uses that program, otherwise I would love to try the linear osc-controller.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

mortenstensland wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 21:03 The show I'm working on requires the cues to be fired from Qlab because the operator uses that program, otherwise I would love to try the linear osc-controller.
Sounds great, but Linear OSC Controller wouldn't help you much with what you'd like to do in this case. It's designed to do the column launching for you.

Vezér could be a more suitable solution in your case using keyframes and curves. https://imimot.com/vezer/