trying to decide which laptop to get

Bro, does your rig even lift?
vj8k3
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

trying to decide which laptop to get

Post by vj8k3 »

Im just gona post this here even though its embarrassingly nooby in the hopes that other people are in the same boat. I know this is talked about a lot on here and I'v read a lot of the stuff but I still can't make up my mind. Im at a place where I have been talking about it for months and people are actually wanting me to vj for them eventually and I haven't even got a machine to do it.

I'm trying to decide which new computer to get. Mostly for video editing (adobe suit) and resolume. I bought resolume on black friday and now I really want to use it but I dont want to install it on my current shitty macbook. I want to get a new machine for it. all fresh.

What laptop to get? I want a laptop because my ideal outcome would be playing small shows and pop up shows. It would be cool to me to be that guy who can be there within a hour and set up quick. Or to show up to a abandoned parking lot party and set up there. So the laptop is a must. I also travel a lot. I want to be as minimalist as possible to start. I'v looked into portable desktops but they seem gimmicky. Like you might as well just get a laptop or a desktop because theres no cutting corners anyway...right?

So I'v used macs and I like them, I have a 2012 macbook pro, but its got all sorts or problems by now and I wouldn't want to depend on it at a show at all.

I like the idea of using a mac because it just seems like it will work consistently, no weird drivers I have to deal with, no blue screen of death. IDK just seems like a smooth pice of gear to have for vjing. I see many pros seem to use them.

but low and behold the new macbook pros are not very good. They seem like junk to me. They are underpowered and wayyy too expensive. Like its hard to justify spending that much when they are not that powerful. And the connectivity sucks. I don't want to have a computer with 4 usb c ports. I like connecting things into my computer with wires, not using clouds and bluetooth all the time. It just seems like a lot to pay just for the idea that it will probably not have as many errors as a PC might have

So then I look around at other PC laptops. First one that looks cool is the razor blade 15. Sweet you can get it pretty maxed out for $2400... but its been out of stock for a long time. And its still kinda expensive. My fear is that I'll have to re learn PC stuff, like command promp stuff and I feel over whelmed. I use to like windows, and in the back of my mind I think "o and I could play pc games some", but thats really a slipper slope into being unproductive and staying up too late. I wouldn't want the 4k one because I heard that it can cause problems. I like that the Razor Blade 15 has a streamline look and feel. Like its going to be easy to transition from mac book to it.

So I chatted with the support guys on razor.com and they tell me to wait because there could be a new razor blade and I dont want to buy one then the new one comes out right after. Honestly I just want to start VJing asap. So its either wait for the razor blade 15 gtx 1070 to come back in stock or get a way over priced macbook.

I know theres other powerful laptops out there like dells and MSI and alienware, but I get a little weirded out about build quality. I hate cheap feeling laptops, and with traveling its best to have stuff that can hold up without hearing things creaking inside the machine. I also feel like a lot of those older looking PC laptops are going to have little problems, like blue screen of death problems ect (maybe I have ptsd from losing projects on old pcs). Am I the only one that thinks this way?

Anybody else in this position? Any words of advice? I know it's rambling. I'd be down to spend around $2500
๐Ÿ‘ฎโ™Ÿ ลŸ๐•„๐•†โ“šแ—ด โ„‚ัโ“โ„ƒ๏ฝ‹ ๅ„๏ผกฮนฤน ๐“ˆฮ”โ“‰๐’ถล‡ ๐Ÿ˜ŽโœŒ

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: trying to decide which laptop to get

Post by Arvol »

I love my blades. I wouldn't wait. There isn't a new 15" that's coming out. they're re-vamping the 17" but imo I would just stick with the 15".

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

Hey thanks! your comment may make me pull the trigger...I want to get a warranty tho. I wanted to get one on their website so I could get the extended warranty bla bla. But now I can only find them on other sites like amazon with no warranty.

But I might try tomorrow (first day 2019) so maybe they will be back in stock

17 views on this page - I think its a good question

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

Arvol wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 31, 2018 07:29 I love my blades. I wouldn't wait. There isn't a new 15" that's coming out. they're re-vamping the 17" but imo I would just stick with the 15".
dude they just came out with a new one!

like today or something

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade/shop

with geforce rtx 2080

im glad I waited

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Arvol wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 31, 2018 07:29 I love my blades
I've run 5 years almost all my shows on my Macbook late 2013, but it's getting old and I bought a 15" Blade with Full HD/MaxQ1070/512Gb and it's the laptop Apple should have made, replacing the macbook Pro, a little beast that burns everything I try at 78fps, no matter how many outputs or layers I add.
I stopped at 55layers Full HD,white soup at, yes, 78fps :D

And with 3x USB3, 1xUSB C, 1xDP & 1xHDMI the only dongle you need is RJ45 :lol:

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

vj8k3 wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 11, 2019 03:20
Arvol wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 31, 2018 07:29 I love my blades. I wouldn't wait. There isn't a new 15" that's coming out. they're re-vamping the 17" but imo I would just stick with the 15".
dude they just came out with a new one!

like today or something

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade/shop

with geforce rtx 2080

im glad I waited
It's been out for a while ;)
If you are just using it for VJ'ing, I'd stick with the 10 series, but if you plan to do a bunch of ray tracing renderings, then the 20 series is for you (I just bill back render farm invoices to the clients when they're on time crunches and call it a day hehe)

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

When i searched for my laptop i found www.mysn.eu Clevo Laptop Cases with a config you can chose within a wide range of possibilitis.

I got my 2cnd last year from the same place and i never had any trouble with it and the two times i needed the support i was 100% satistfyed

Last year i didnt check the prices accuratly but it was inside the range i wanted to be.

The Razer / Alienware ("Brand" models) allways cost a bit for the name they use.

I love my XMG and can recomend them to take a look at when you search a new laptop.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~