Ableton Link with Resolume on the same computer

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Ableton Link with Resolume on the same computer

Post by p8guitar »

Is there a way to synchronize ableton Live and Resolume with Link when Resolume and Live are running on the same (Windows 10) computer? I can't get this working, but maybe there is a workaround?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Ableton Link with Resolume on the same computer

Post by Joris »

That should just work out of the box.

What have you tried so far and what was the result?

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

I open Resolumen and Live (I think it doesn't matter which is opened first), enable the "Link" button on both and see that it doesn't work. There should be a "1" in the Ableton Live link button, but Resolume is not linked. The tempo doesn't match, Live hat 82 bpm while Resolume has 73 bpm.
In the network monitor I see that Resolume and Live use the 20808 port alternately, not at the same time. But it is not the IPv4 loopback, it says "Ipv4 not indicated/specified" or something like that ("IPv4 nicht angeben" in German).
Attachments
IPv4 nicht angegeben.jpg

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Yup, that should work just fine.
Which Resolume Arena 6 version are you using?
Is windows firewall on?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

mygeneration
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by mygeneration »

Check your ASIO settings.
Link only works with ASIO.

ASIO4ALL V2 recommended.

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

I use ASIO Fireface, because I have a RME fireface 800 audio interface.

Normally I have the Kaspersky Internet Security firewall activated. But it doesn't make a difference if the firewall is active or not. When I deactivate the kaspersky firewall and then deactivate the Windows defender firewall, too, Link still doesn't work.

I added Live and Resolume to the "trustworthy programs" in Kaspersky Internet Security, but that didn't make Link work. (the status in the windows resource monitor was already "allowed, not restricted" before that.)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

That's strange.
Even when I enable windows firewall and clear all existing rules for both Arena and Ableton, and don't allow them to communicate, the are able to Link up on localhost.

Could you try again after disconnecting wired and wireless networks from the machine?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Disconnecting the WLAN network (I have no wired network) doesn't make a difference, link still doesn't work. ok, I could send the bpm information with the singlenotegrabber plugin, but link would be so much easier! :(

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The thing is that the Link protocol takes care of all the network setup and detection. We just get a notification when somebody wants to join the session and let others know we'd like to join one. We don't do much aside from that.

Have you checked if Link works correctly in other apps? Have you contacted Ableton about this?
Check your ASIO settings.
Link only works with ASIO.
Link is a network protocol. How does choice of a sound card affect network setup and detection?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If you have another machine, with Ableton or Resolume on it, you could connect it to the network your other machine is connected to, and enable link on this machine too.
Then if either Resolume or Ableton connects to the link on the original machine, would give you a hint which one has issues, and where to look further.