no audio on "master output channel"

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

no audio on "master output channel"

Post by p8guitar »

I have an audio clip running on layer 2. When I set the audio preferences to preview output channels = "Analog 1 (1) and Analog 2 (1)" and the focus is on layer 2, then I can hear the audio. When I set the audio preferences to master output channels = "Analog 1 (1) and Analog 2 (1)", I hear nothing (but still see the visual representation of the audio in the layer).
?!?
Is there somewhere a fader for the "master output channels", maybe it is set to zero? I cannot find the master output channels in the Resolume GUI.

Another problem: the volume fader of the layer does nothing (audio routed to preview output channels), it is alway full volume. Is this a problem related to the RME fireface 800 that I use? the audio output device is "ASIO fireface". I had expected that I could reduce the volume with the audio fader of the layer, but it doesn't do anything.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: no audio on "master output channel"

Post by Zoltán »

There is a separate audio volume slider in the Composition panel. And there is a Composition master opacity in the UI, which also fades the audio, so if you play your clip in the layer and don't see the output, chances are that it's turned down.
Képernyőfotó 2019-01-04 - 8.23.45.png
The Layer preview is indeed pre-fader, so you can check what's going on in the layer before fading it in.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Thanks for the explanation! Routing the preview audio pre-fader makes sense... ;-)

The volume fader in the composition panel was set to full volume, so I don't know what the problem wass.
All in all, the audio is quite unreliable. Today first I heard nothing, even on the preview audio. then I loaded a wav file in a clip, which could be heard, and then I could hear the video with the ffmpeg audio, too. Strange. Maybe the mpeg audio is causing this unsteady behaviour, I think Resolume doesn't like compressed audio. Or the fireface audio driver is unstable.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

p8guitar wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:05 Maybe the mpeg audio is causing this unsteady behaviour, I think Resolume doesn't like compressed audio.
Indeed we recommend to use uncompressed audio.
Could you send us this file you had issues with?
Thanks!
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Zoltán wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 13:18 Indeed we recommend to use uncompressed audio.
Could you send us this file you had issues with?
Thanks!
the files are 400MB, 1 GB and 4 GB... I will create shorter movies and send them. But today I could not reproduce the problem.
how do I send the files, per e-mail to mail@resolume.com?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Sent you a PM.