Blend Mode Definitions

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
noxcious
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Blend Mode Definitions

Post by noxcious »

Hey Rez Fam,

I'm using Arena 6.1.1, and have been trying to make mental notes of all the blend modes so switching between them all and creating the transitions I want is a breeze.

I read this post giving definitions: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13685&p=56207&hilit ... ist#p56207

But that was made to explain Arena 4, so it's a little outdated.

I'm still missing the definitions for:

50 Distance
50 Mask
50 Subtract
Cut

The reason I'm asking is because, yes, I did play around already and got a general idea of what they do. But I want to know what they do specifically on a technical level (e.g. alpha channel fades, RBG value changes, etc.), so I don't have something going on on-screen that i didn't want; to make transitions smoother, and executing them on the fly easier.

I get how they work with my planned clips, but knowing how the modes interact with clips better will let me use them more efficiently in regards to on the fly mixing.

Thanks for your time!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Blend Mode Definitions

Post by Joris »

• 50 Distance mixes texture 1 and 2 by the square root of the dot product of each textures' red and green channels. The fader value controls dry/wet between texture 1 and the effect's result.
  • 50 Mask creates transparency in texture 1 based on the perceived brightness of the pixels in texture 2. The fader value controls dry/wet between texture 1 and the effect's result.
  • 50 Subtract subtracts the inverse of texture 2 from texture 1. The fader value does a lot of weird math that I can't really follow, but it ends up fading in the effect's result on top of texture 1.
  • Cut just cuts from texture 1 to texture 2 when the fader is at 50%