Can't switch off lumiverse

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
SystemD
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Can't switch off lumiverse

Post by SystemD »

Hi,
I'm using 6.1.1 last week-end, too late to use 6.1.2 before the show, but i haven't seen this in the fix list.
So, my first pixel mapping installation, Resolume + Chaser rock like a charm all the night long :)

The only problem : when i want to switch the lumiverses one by one in the advanded output to see if everything is ok, nothing happen. All my leds are on. For this show, i use 8 Lumiverses to control stripleds with a Pixlite 16 from Advantek.
I don't see what's wrong...

Thanks

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Can't switch off lumiverse

Post by Joris »

In DMX, there is a difference between not sending anything and sending 0.

When you turn off a Lumiverse, we stop sending data. What happens next depends on the receiving node. Most of them will hold the last received DMX frame.

We can't just send 0 when you turn off a Lumiverse, because you might have other channels than color on that node and we don't know what they will do on 0. If you want to turn off your LEDs, you have to send 0 on the necessary channels yourself.

SystemD

Post by SystemD »

Joris wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:34 If you want to turn off your LEDs, you have to send 0 on the necessary channels yourself.
Ok, thanks for your explaination Joris.
If i understand, i can switch "off" a lumiverse, then play a different video, the others lumiverses "on" will "play" this new video?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Yes. Turning off a Lumiverse means no more data will be sent to that particular node. Other Lumiverses that are still on will continue to send data.

SystemD

Post by SystemD »

It is not possible to add a function to send a value 0 to the channels contained in lumiverses when closed? Maybe in a futur update?

Joris

Post by Joris »

The thing with DMX is we don't know what 0 will do.

It could be that you have a bunch of DMX controlled hoists on the same node. Sending 0 might lower them through the roof of the structure they're hanging above.

A desk solves this by assigning properties to fixture parameters. So dimmers, shutters and RGB channels will go to 0 on blackout, but channels like pan and tilt stay where they are. Until we have a system like that in place, we'll err on the side of caution and just stop sending data when you disable a Lumiverse.