stopwatch, timer, for scoreboard

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
greenvillehughes
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

stopwatch, timer, for scoreboard

Post by greenvillehughes »

Hi,
I am using Arena with a large LED display and would like someway to show a stopwatch (timer). I will use it at sporting events and races, and want to assign the stopwatch to one layer and use clips on other layers for the background. I would like the stopwatch to have basic controls like start, stop, pause and reset (to zero). Does anyone know about such a function inside resolume Arena? Another approach is to get Arena to "read" a .txt file. I already have Vis Basic routine that will control this stopwatch by updating a .txt file every second. I just need to know how to get Arena to "read" the .txt file and display the contents on my display. Any ideas about how to do that? Thanks for your help!
- Edwin

theLABVisuals
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: stopwatch, timer, for scoreboard

Post by theLABVisuals »

If it's just general counting of stuff do it all in Resolume.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10073
Introducing ARC - The APC40 mkII Extender.
ARC brings you 640 clip triggers, 128 Faders, 128 Track pots, 80 Scene launch, 16 foot switches and more.
https://www.theapc40extender.co.uk

greenvillehughes

Thanks for providing that link. Except it opened up more questions than it solved...
I loaded the "Timer" composition. It looks promising but I can't figure out how to "start" the clips that are controlled by Autopilot. Normally, I just click on the first clip in the row and autopilot will start until I stop it. Is there something I'm overlooking? If you could point me in the direction of how the Timer composition operates I would surely appreciate it.
Also there is mention in the same thread about a QUARTZ file that does something similar. I also downloaded this file called "clock.qtz". I searched for information on how to load and use QTZ files in Resolume but I am not able to figure that out either. When I tried to drag and drop the QTZ file in a clip window it does not recognize it. Where am I going wrong? Thanks for your help!
-Edwin

greenvillehughes

I've been trying to figure out how to make a 12-hour "clock" using autopilot, basically where I have PNG files that serve as the digits for the clock. I'm using 5 rows in Avenue. The bottom row represents seconds (digits 0 thru 9). The next row up is "tens of seconds" (digits 0 thru 5). The next row is minutes (digits 0 thru 5). The next row is tens of minutes (digits 0 thru 5). The top row is hours (digits 0 thru 12). I set up the digits so they are staggered correctly on the display like this: 0:00:00. I set up autopilot so the bottom row "seconds" changes every 1.00 sec. The subsequent rows are setup with autopilot to change every 10.00 seconds. This clock does not keep accurate time. It is so bad that the digits get out of sync after about 30 seconds. Is this because autopilot is not necessarily an accurate clock and depends on the computer's hardware and frame rate abilities?

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

Quartz Composer does not run in Resolume version 6, sadly the function was removed.
You could add a Syphon output to a quartz composition.
I also have a stopwatch made from a Vuo example composition which could output to a Syphon stream. Could make that a standalone app, currently. (Could make it into a FFGL source when they release the new version).

greenvillehughes

Thanks for the ideas, Scratchpole!
I would be certainly be willing to try Siphon. Would it basically be doing a "screengrab" from my running clock application and feeding it to Resolume?
Before I dive into that:
Another approach I was thinking about would be to create a .mov file of the running clock in After Effects. I would only need to render at 1 frame per sec, which would only be 3600 frames per hour. A very small file for 6 hours. That's all I need for the longest running event where I use the clock. The catch is... I'm assuming I can set Resolume to play a .mov at 1 frame per sec, but will it run at EXACTLY at 1 frame per second or will it be prone to dropping or gaining time based on my computer/CPU use?
Would I need to use time code, and how do I set that up in Resolume?
Thanks for the help!
-Edwin

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

Would it basically be doing a "screengrab" from my running clock application and feeding it to Resolume?
Yes.
If you have an app that does what you want already you could use Syphoner to grab the window and then it would be available as a source in Resolume.

greenvillehughes

OK, I have the clock app "Timer for Mac".
I will try Siphon.
Can you give me the steps needed to set up Siphon so it to take the screengrab of the "Timer for Mac" app and output it to a clip in Resolume?
Thanks for helping me figure this out!
-Edwin

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

You know, you can send text via OSC to a text animator ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

toweba

Post by toweba »

Advance stopwatch online is easy to use and accurate stopwatches clock. Simple to use timer, ringing alarm, elapsed time display, multiple timers and multiple stopwatches.