Flip Composition Output Horizontally For Rear Projection

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Hobbes
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Flip Composition Output Horizontally For Rear Projection

Post by Hobbes »

I am rear projecting onto a large 3840x1080 screen with 2 projectors, each covering one half of the screen, connected via a Datapath Fx4.

In Arena, how do I flip the composition output 180° so that it appears to the audience as it does on my computer, and not backwards? Using “flip” in the Output Transformation on the slices does not do what I need it to, because I end up with the soft edge blend on the outer left and right sides of the screen, instead of on center where the slices overlap.

There is probably a simple way to correct this, but I cannot seem to see how, nor can I find any info about rear projecting in the Arena manual or on the forums.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Flip Composition Output Horizontally For Rear Projection

Post by Empyfree »

Surely you would just do the flip in the projectors?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Just flip your output in the advanced output and switch your inputs.

phpBB [video]

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Or rotate the Composition 180degrees via Transform?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Hobbes
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Hobbes »

Thank you all for your quick replies. I really appreciate it!

Oaktown: I had tried what you suggested, but that is what resulted in the soft edge blend flipping with the slice. The soft edge was then at the outer edge of the slice, rather than on center where it overlaps the other slice.

Zoltán: Rotating the composition does do the trick, but it then results in the composition being flipped in the output monitor, which is not then end of the world, but it would be nice to see the output accurately on the monitor as well as the screen. However, this may be the way I choose to go.

Emptyfree: Flipping the output in the projectors might be a possibility as well. I will need to check the projectors.

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions.

Thanks again!!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Rotate the slices 180 degrees in the output

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

This is 100% a Setup inside the Projectors....

And yes it also can be done with the output of arena but why whould you....
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Oaktown: I had tried what you suggested, but that is what resulted in the soft edge blend flipping with the slice. The soft edge was then at the outer edge of the slice, rather than on center where it overlaps the other slice.
All you need after you flip the screen is to swap your slices in the advanced so that your right screen is on the left and your left is on the right. As an alternative, you can just physically swap the output cables at the FX4.

But I agree with He2neg and Empyfree, the best approach will be to set your projectors to rear projections.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

All you need after you flip the screen is to swap your slices in the advanced so that your right screen is on the left and your left is on the right.
You know Resolume better than me, but when you use the pacmans, I think the blends end up on the two sides of the comp instead of in the center. Right?

As opposed to rotating them 180 degrees

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You know Resolume better than me, but when you use the pacmans, I think the blends end up on the two sides of the comp instead of in the center. Right?
Correct, which is why you want to swap your two slices after you've flipped them so that essentially you're looking at your blend from behind (rear projection)
As opposed to rotating them 180 degrees
180˚ rotation would work for ceiling projections, correct?

Take a look at this video to make sure we talking about the same thing. As a note, the soft edge seems to be on the wrong side of the screens so I don't know it its an issue with my rig or an issue with rev62569!

phpBB [video]