Can't Link Resolume to Serato

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
brodie
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Can't Link Resolume to Serato

Post by brodie »

I'm a DJ/VJ running both apps on one machine. I push the Link button on both apps. Resolume says "1 Link" but the BPM's aren't synced in any way. They're still completely independent of each other. Am I missing something?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Can't Link Resolume to Serato

Post by Zoltán »

Do you have any other apps that support Link?
Please check if the Link with Serato works with them.
Ableton live trial should work.

I don't have a Serato controller so the software only start in practice mode for me, where the link button is not visible.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

brodie

Post by brodie »

I eventually got it to work (sort of). Everything I saw was just saying "plug it in and it works" which wasn't very helpful. Turns out, I needed to hit the sync button on my Serato controller.

The problem is that when I hit the sync button instead of Resolume changing to match the BPM of Serato, Serato changes the BPM to match Resolume which is problematic.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

brodie wrote:I eventually got it to work (sort of). Everything I saw was just saying "plug it in and it works" which wasn't very helpful. Turns out, I needed to hit the sync button on my Serato controller.

The problem is that when I hit the sync button instead of Resolume changing to match the BPM of Serato, Serato changes the BPM to match Resolume which is problematic.
What happens when you do things the opposite way?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Link assumes that everyone taking part in a session is equal. There is no master/slave hierarchy.

When joining an existing session, Link will match the BPM of the session. Would be kind of weird if you joined a session, and all of a sudden the BPM would jump to whatever your BPM was set to.

brodie

Post by brodie »

Hmm, so I should hit Link on Serato, hit the sync button for the song, and then hit Link in Resolume? I'll have to give it a shot when I get home.
When joining an existing session, Link will match the BPM of the session. Would be kind of weird if you joined a session, and all of a sudden the BPM would jump to whatever your BPM was set to.
But that's exactly what happens. When I hit Sync on my Serato controller, the song jumps to whatever BPM Resolume is set to. The only workaround I've found is that I have to manually set Resolume's BPM to match the songs, and THEN I can hit Sync. Of course, at that point, I might as well have just hit the Resync button in Resolume and forget about Link altogether.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

so I should hit Link on Serato, hit the sync button for the song, and then hit Link in Resolume?
Think of Link as a jam session, where one or more musicians are playing a song. When you join that jam session with a new instrument, you'll want to match the tempo and key that the existing session is playing in. You don't expect everyone to all of a sudden switch tempo and key to whatever you are playing.

So when you enable Link on a software (in your case, that's Serato), it will find the tempo that the other "musicians" are playing at (in your case that's just Resolume), and match the tempo to theirs.
at that point, I might as well have just hit the Resync button in Resolume and forget about Link altogether.
Or you could keep Link enabled, change the BPM in Serato, and Resolume will follow.

brodie

Post by brodie »

I'm having a new issue that seems to be related. Before I keep troubleshooting, I want to make sure that this "should" work.

I'm working with a song whose BPM increases very noticeably as it progresses. My hope was to be able to use Link so that as the BPM increases (I've got it working in Serato so the BPM goes from like 80 up to 140 or something by the middle) the BPM would likewise increase in Resolume and adjust my BPM synced clips accordingly. That should work, no?

Currently I'm having the issue I was running into before but it's even more noticeable. Serato keeps pulling the BPM from Resolume instead of the other way around, so even if I get resolume to sync up to the original BPM of 80, the song itself, instead of getting faster actually keeps adjusting the BPM back down to 80 (eg. Serato maintains an 80 BPM essentially preventing the audio from speeding up over time rather than Resolume's BPM increasing to match Serato)

Joris

Post by Joris »

If Serato is going back to Resolume’s BPM without you actually changing BPM in Resolume, it sounds like the Link implementation is broken in Serato. Have you contacted their support?

djcyph
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by djcyph »

brodie wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 16:42 Hmm, so I should hit Link on Serato, hit the sync button for the song, and then hit Link in Resolume? I'll have to give it a shot when I get home.
But that's exactly what happens. When I hit Sync on my Serato controller, the song jumps to whatever BPM Resolume is set to. The only workaround I've found is that I have to manually set Resolume's BPM to match the songs, and THEN I can hit Sync. Of course, at that point, I might as well have just hit the Resync button in Resolume and forget about Link altogether.
Hey I know this is old and I know Link is supposed to support BPM changes without one being a master/slave like they said, but I've learned over the years that's not the case with Serato. Not sure if it's a bug or just the way they designed it but you have to do basically what you said.

First, hit link on serato, then sync on your track then you hit Link on Resolume and it should work perfectly. You'll have to sync on other deck your mixing into as well to keep Resolume on Serato BPM. I'm new to Resolume but been playing around with this in Serato internal mode and works great.

It seems like Serato has to be "master" in all cases when I've tried syncing things with Serato. I own a Roland DJ-808 controller with the built in 707, 808 and 909 drum machines and only way the drum machine will sync with tracks is syncing the track first. If you do it other way around, track will follow drum machine BPM like you were experiencing with Resolume.

Hope you got it down by now, figured just chime in, in case you didn't or if someone else is having similar issues as this thread comes up first when you google Resolume Serato!