OSC export of BPM as pulses

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Nackgi
Is taking Resolume on a second date

OSC export of BPM as pulses

Post by Nackgi »

Hi,

Is there a way to export BPM clock out of Resolume with OSC? Not as a value of BPM, but as pulses or rhythmically changing values such as the BPM clock in the left side of the Resolume UI.

I'm trying to sync my TouchDesigner patches with Resolumes BPM. I tried to use the BPM value exported from Resolume to generate the pulses in TouchDesigner, but that solution wouldn't want to stay in sync.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: OSC export of BPM as pulses

Post by Arvol »

I take Resolume's BPM out and use that as my TD's Tempo then I link Resolume's Re-Sync up to TD and that works well for me.

You can also animate a dummy parameter in Resolume and set it's animate to BPM with a beat count of 1. Then send that out as a custom OSC address in to TD and then apply a trigger or count CHOP with a trigger threshold of .1

The first method doesn't require any additional setup in Resolume other than turning on your OSC output ;)

Nackgi

Post by Nackgi »

Sounds great! Also that dummy parameter workaround sounds like I could use it also for controlling my TD patches with Resolume's external audio FFT.

How do you connect the BPM value to the TD's tempo? I tried to test that but I couldn't find a way to connect a chop to the tempo setting.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Here's a .tox I built for ya. Just make sure Resolume is outputting OSC and set your port accordingly. Now, whenever you change your bpm in Resolume, TD will follow.

I use that parameter animation hack for a LOT of things.

In this example I just used a CHOP exec DAT. Learn to use those! They are VERY powerful tools :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8u0k8m2hl8k8 ... e.tox?dl=0

Nackgi

Post by Nackgi »

Oh nice!

Thank you very much. :)

matinthehat

Post by matinthehat »

I've used Ableton link as a similar solution.
The AbletonLink CHOP has all sorts of pulse beat parameters

Nackgi

Post by Nackgi »

Seems like my version of TD does not have that Ableton Link CHOP yet. :( I'll have to consider upgrading.

Arvol, how do you link your Resolume's resync to TD? I couldn't find any parameter that would "reset" the TD tempo.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I run an independent time chop and use the pulse option for the re-sync

tobiasr91
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by tobiasr91 »

Hey @Arvol, I have kind of the same issue. Transferred the (tapped) tempo via osc from Resolume to TD but all my modifications of the value do not seem to work out right to get the right speed for further controls in TD (e.g. ramps and all time dependent values etc.). Unfortunately your .tox dl-link do not seem to work anymore. Would you mind to reupload the file. Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Tobias

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

tobiasr91 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:56 Hey @Arvol, I have kind of the same issue. Transferred the (tapped) tempo via osc from Resolume to TD but all my modifications of the value do not seem to work out right to get the right speed for further controls in TD (e.g. ramps and all time dependent values etc.). Unfortunately your .tox dl-link do not seem to work anymore. Would you mind to reupload the file. Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Tobias
That was over 3 years and a pandemic ago bud lol. No clue what was in that patch, but here's a new one that might get you sorted:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H95SH ... p=drive_fs

drop this tox into a "Base" and then reference the "/bpm" node for your projects tempo needs.