MPD 232 drum pad effecting BPM / Tempo

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Digitrevx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

MPD 232 drum pad effecting BPM / Tempo

Post by Digitrevx »

I have a strange issue with the main comp I use. I can't reproduce this in a blank comp. I'm using R6 demo / no license yet since I'm trying it out before upgrading.

This issue does not happen on Resolume 5

When I map a clip to any of the MPD232's drum pads. And use the MPD232's internal clock to drive resolumes BPM. If I select a column or new clips then hit the drum pad for the clip I assigned it to the BPM hits 20 then shoots up to 500, then sticks for 2 seconds and then goes back to the normal BPM the midi controller is sending.

I've double checked the controller and again tried this in a fresh comp in R6 and it doesn't happen. I've combed through my main comp I'm working on and the note the drum pad is sending is mapped only to that single clip.

It seems to really hate it when I assign a drum pad to a clip with any bmp sync. It behaves a bit better when there is no bmp sync but I have seen it happen at times. Is there some new setting between R6 and R5 that causes this?

I've not noticed any irregularity in the tempo flash on the MPD232 so it appears to be sending a steady clock. It's only when it gets to resolume is goes nuts when I use a drum pad mapped to a clip. BTW all other features I've mapped the drum pads to in R6 work fine. It's only clips that seem to cripple the BPM.

The Midi controller preferences in R6 is set to
Midi input
Midi output
Clock input

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: MPD 232 drum pad effecting BPM / Tempo

Post by Zoltán »

The midi clock interpretation/timing depends heavily on the audio thread Resolume gets it's internal timings from.
Try adjusting the Audio buffer size in Resolume audio preferences, to something higher or lower, maybe that would help.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

ok yeah that makes some sense since its audio signal. Its a 1024 but I'll mess with it some. >< I think going to high results in choppy playback of the play head on clips though.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Tried changing it to few different buffer sizes. It didn't help. I didn't really need to do this on resolume 5. So thinking about it it makes some sense it wouldn't impact anything.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Resolume gets all the timings internally from the audio clock.
When a clip launch is heavy on the engine, it can happen that the processing of the incoming midi clock is jittering compared to the audio clock. This can result in the BPM fluctuations you see. Changing the buffer size could have improved at least the audio clock processing.

Are you using DXV clips played form an SSD?

Are the clocks getting stable if you disable midi output from Resolume to the MPD?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I've been trying to recreate your behavior. Here's what I've done.

- Enable MIDI input, output and clock for MPD232 Port A. Clock is on Start/Stop
- Set the MPD232 to internal MIDI. Transport Type is on MMC/MIDI
- Stop and start a sequence on the MPD via the Stop and Play buttons. MIDI clock is now being received
- Tap tempo on the MPD. Sequencer speed changes, BPM is updated in Resolume.
- Create a new comp
- Add a bunch of clips, set them to BPM Sync
- Set Beat Snap to None
- Create a new MIDI shortcut preset
- Map pad 1 through 12 to clip 1 through 4 on layer 1 through 3
- Map pad 13 through 16 to column 1 to 4

At this point, I can trigger clips without affecting the tempo. As far as I can see, everything is working as expected.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Exactly Joris, I've been making new comps in resolume and it works correctly. However the main comp I'm using from resolume 5 seems to hate it and I can't figure out where the problem exists.

Everything seems ok so long as I do not use the internal clock off the MPD232. If I just map a drum pad or something to the tap tempo on the resolume UI it's fine. But the moment it wants to take in that clock off the midi controller and I have the clip assigned its very unhappy.

Zoltan my dxv content is stored on 2 960evo pro m.2's.

The clocks are stable with the mpd sending its clock to resolume and or resolumes clock so long as I do not map a drum pad to a clip on the comp I'm working on.

I've been spending a few days trying to reproduce it or try different solutions. I've tried mapping one of the problem drum pad / clip combos to a time division switch above one of the faders on the 232 and still the same results. So I'm starting to wonder if there is something corrupt in the comp having started with a R5 project and updating it to R6. ><

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Not sure if this info helps. But mapping a button on my other controller apc40 mkII to a problem clip with the clock running off the mpd 232 at the same time works fine.

If I configure a drum pad to send out the same note as that button I mapped on the apc40 and then try to use that drum pad instead the problem starts to happen. I'm not really sure what it hates about the mpd..

I've open R5 to see if the mpd is still ok and it's working fine there still using the same old comp I made in R5. ><

edit recorded a little video to help demo the experience https://youtu.be/vWv4L4RKkBU

All I'm doing in this video is showing that after starting the clock on the mpd if I change clips then hit the drum pad assigned to that one solid that flashes the output monitor every beat it causes the clock to go crazy. I have to change clips in the comp first to make it happen every time I touch the drum pad. If I replicate it via the apc or even my touch screen it doesn't happen. Only when sending notes off the mpd.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Digitrevx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 19:02 Not sure if this info helps. But mapping a button on my other controller apc40 mkII to a problem clip with the clock running off the mpd 232 at the same time works fine.
If I configure a drum pad to send out the same note as that button I mapped on the apc40 and then try to use that drum pad instead the problem starts to happen. I'm not really sure what it hates about the mpd..
Does the issue only happen when you have a note double mapped on the 2 controllers?

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Seems to happen even when I have the apc 40 not even connected to the machine. I do normally double note some of the drum pads on the 232 with the apc40 to free up some fingers at times. But I did try to rule out the apc early by testing with it not connected. Maybe I can try a old mpd 32 I got and run a clock out of it instead of the 232 and see if the same result happens.