play the same video file starting from different timecodes?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
blipson
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

play the same video file starting from different timecodes?

Post by blipson »

I just discovered this software, and before I study the manual I've downloaded, I'd like to quickly find out if it can do the main thing I want to do. I have many video files in mkv format, and the video part (which I could extract) is in h264. The videos all average about 120 minutes in length. Rather than extract clips for playback, I'd prefer to play things back based on a time code so that I always have the entire video available. In other words, I'd like to queue up some time codes, and then have the software play back that file, but starting from the specified time code, not the beginning of the file. I'd also like to be able to specify time codes in real time for improvised performance, and even randomize time codes, that is, randomize start positions so that the same video restarts (in rhythm) from randomized points in the file.

Can I get a confirmation if Resolume is built to do this reasonably conveniently? If so, then I'll sit down with the manual and take the time to try it all out.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: play the same video file starting from different timecodes?

Post by Zoltán »

In short, yes.
In a bit longer: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18526
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

blipson

Post by blipson »

Zoltán wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 17:52 In short, yes.
In a bit longer: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18526
Reading that other thread, it appears that I have to extract the specific clips from the larger file in advance, correct? I was hoping to be able to use the exact same file over and over, but only change the clip's entry and exit point each time I want to play a section of it.

Skimming the manual, I found three options for triggering a clip: "from the start", "pick-up," and "relative pick-up." What I'm asking is basically: is there are fourth way that would be "from specified offset" that would trigger the clip from a different point each time? That would save me having to extract clips for each separate trigger point. I could make adjustments to the show simply by changing the the specified offsets rather than extracting and using a bunch of new clip files from the larger 120-minute video.

blipson

Post by blipson »

After skimming a bit more, it appears the Cue Points is what I want, and possibly also BeatLoopr. I'd still appreciate any comments and suggestions for the best way to do things.

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

I’d stick with “from start” and modify the start point of the clip in resolume. You can drag it around, or type a number in the box above the handle (box appears when you click on it!)

blipson

Post by blipson »

Empyfree wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 06:33 I’d stick with “from start” and modify the start point of the clip in resolume. You can drag it around, or type a number in the box above the handle (box appears when you click on it!)
Great, thanks. I didn't see that in the manual. I'll demo it soon.