DMX HARDWARE

Bro, does your rig even lift?
projectneptune
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

DMX HARDWARE

Post by projectneptune »

Hi There
I want to get into using Resolume to control LEDs. I have an Enttec DMXIS, (USB to DMX box) which works beautifully with Ableton, but I am wondering if I need any additional hardware to get Resolume to talk to my LEDs? If anyone can give me a clear idea of what a typical hardware signal flow/setup for DMX out of Resolume would look like I would be grateful!
Thanks!

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: DMX HARDWARE

Post by He2neg »

The futureproof way for Resolume to dmx is via Artnet.

Video to DMX can be a lot of data real quick so the USB will limit that and you may run into problems...
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

projectneptune

Post by projectneptune »

Thanks so much for the info. Is there an Art-Net interface or hardware setup that you would recommend?

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

Here is a offical text for that topic....

https://resolume.com/support/en/dmx#a-w ... sb-devices

Hardware allways depends on what you need to achive...
How many universes you need is the info..
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~Berlin~

projectneptune

Post by projectneptune »

Thanks!
This is very helpful, however I am curious about a setup for lets say 2 universes.
I assume I come out of my computer via ethernet into some kind of hardware node and then from the node to my lights via DMX. If this is correct, can you tell me what hardware node works best with Resolume? If this is incorrect, can you tell me what the physical setup should actully be?

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

Thats correct...

pc ---ethernet---> [artnet -> dmx]---xlr/dmx--->light

As Resolume can send Artnet to any adress or even broadcast it everywere inside the network. Realy every working artnet to dmx interface should be recieving the data and hand it on.... there is no talking back and "it need to fit together" between these systems. The comon gorund is artnet and thats all...

[All Problems you will have will be network problems ;)]

I personal have a single universe Enntec device and it work as expected

i think most of the manufactures will provide you a working artnet dmx interface... how durable they are or what extra features they offer or maybe what brand is printed on the box will define the price you pay

I looked into entec products quick and think this dmx via cat/rj45 realy interesting...
And building 8 adapters (rj45 to xlr) will cost you 4 patch cable / 8 xlr plugs and some time soldering...
~Berlin~