MIDI Shortcuts Between Compositions and Decks

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
cfichter
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

MIDI Shortcuts Between Compositions and Decks

Post by cfichter »

Hello,

I’m using an APC40 MK2 and I'm still having the following issue. I set up the MIDI for a deck (or a totally separate composition) but when I switch between decks or compositions, the MIDI controller doesn't update properly.

It will leave some buttons lit up from the previous deck, and it won't always populate all the programmed buttons from the new deck or composition I selected.

I'm not using this to VJ, per se. I'm running live visuals for a tribute band. My needs are to set up a deck for a song and have the MIDI board programmed to control that deck. Then when I switch to the next song (deck), the MIDI board will now control that deck with the controls I programmed specifically for it.

Currently there seems to be a crossover between the programmed controls for different decks and/or compositions as I switch between them. I’ve saved presets for the different decks/compositions, but there still seems to be an issue.

I’m very new to Resolume and MIDI controllers, so this just may be how it works, but it seems like I should be able to have dedicated MIDI controls for different decks and compositions.

Thank you

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: MIDI Shortcuts Between Compositions and Decks

Post by Zoltán »

It will leave some buttons lit up from the previous deck, and it won't always populate all the programmed buttons from the new deck or composition I selected.
Which buttons/UI items are these which don't update properly on deck switch?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

cfichter

Post by cfichter »

Zoltán wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:39
Let's say I have two decks for two different songs. One of them only has 5 clips and the other deck has 20 clips. If I go from the deck that has 20 clips to the deck that has 5 clips, a bunch of the buttons that were lit up on the deck with 20 clips remain lit when I go to the deck with 5 clips.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Could you send a screenshot of the settings of one of the shortcuts which doesn't update?
Thanks!
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

steezlebeads

Post by steezlebeads »

cfichter wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 14:59
Zoltán wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:39
Let's say I have two decks for two different songs. One of them only has 5 clips and the other deck has 20 clips. If I go from the deck that has 20 clips to the deck that has 5 clips, a bunch of the buttons that were lit up on the deck with 20 clips remain lit when I go to the deck with 5 clips.
I believe this is the intended operation for Resolume.
When switching between decks, the currently selected clips will remain active until you trigger a new clip from the deck you have switched to. You could turn the clips off before switching decks by triggering a layer router or something if you need to switch them off before changing decks. Or you could assign opacity for specific clips to individual faders or knobs on the apc.

Also, make sure you are assigning midi via the Composition Midi map and not Application midi map. This way, you can use multiple instances of one function on the apc across multiple decks that won't overlap.

This is how it works for me and I'm running an akai MPK261 or LPD8 to do my midi mapping.

cfichter

Post by cfichter »

[/quote]

Also, make sure you are assigning midi via the Composition Midi map and not Application midi map. This way, you can use multiple instances of one function on the apc across multiple decks that won't overlap.

[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what the difference is between Composition Midi map and Application Midi map. I just go to Shortcuts->Edit Midi. Can you tell me where to look to switch between the two and see if that solves my issue?

Thank you.

steezlebeads

Post by steezlebeads »

I'm still on Arena 5. Sounds like you're on 6 and I didn't know they changed how the mapping function works.

I imagine your shortcut for Edit Midi is doing things on a Composition/Deck level, but I'm not 100% sure.
Hopefully someone can confirm this is on a Composition level(i.e. your save file) and not an Arrangement level(basically, consistent program settings across all compositions/save files).

cfichter

Post by cfichter »

Zoltán wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 07:45 Could you send a screenshot of the settings of one of the shortcuts which doesn't update?
Thanks!
See attached.
1.jpg
shows one deck and the correct buttons are lit up. Then I switch to
2.jpg
and change the shortcuts to the ones programmed for that deck. When I created the shortcuts for each deck, I started with a completely new shortcut so there was no chance of crossover.

Everything circled in yellow on deck 2 is a light from deck 1 that stays on when I switch to deck 2 and change the MIDI shortcuts to the ones programmed for deck 2.

If I go through and push the buttons that shouldn't be lit up, they will then go off and not come back on, but in a live performance I might have 10-12 different decks I'll go through, and I won't 100% remember whether or not a button is supposed to be lit up or not.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Thanks, but I'm looking for a screenshot of the Shortcuts panel, you see in Resolume with one of these sticky shortcuts selected, so we can see how you've set the Shortcut Target, and Notes properties.