mapping for a dome

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
LXConcepts
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: mapping for a dome

Post by LXConcepts »

There's tons of software edge blending tools...but they're way more expensive than resolume

Realistically if you plan enough you can edge blend your media in advance for your projectors, but that requires a lot of work

And yeah, the clients with the big $$ expect things their way, but realistically I find the clients without a lot of money to be the bigger pains in the ass, because they still want things their way buy don't have the money to pay for it! They want a huge show for tiny money, and they don't get that fully custom content (shot or motion graphics) will not cost $50.
Lighting and media server design

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

LXConcepts wrote:There's tons of software edge blending tools...but they're way more expensive than resolume
Yes this is true, there are already Dome blending softwares available, and they cost a small fortune, the thing with using a tool like R4 is that it has the ability to reduce that cost significantly. One day Resolume will be good enough to do a quad radial edge blend, lets just hope the price stays reasonable.

deepvisual

Post by deepvisual »

with the top end made for planetarium software, its really difficult to do a dome line up. blending it beforehand is totally unrealistic given the wide angle lenses used. - a couple of mm out on the projector position means you wont get your line up.
you could use blendy if it ever comes out but even then you are most likely going to be stuck with relatively low res compared to the current 4k in most planetariums. sure you can bodge it with twist, but its going to take you days to come up with something half decent. even then, you'll be restricted to the kind of content you can show as anything graceful will pick up the uncorrected geometric distortion and the bad blends. watch some fulldome VJing online - its not a pretty sight.
one things for sure, you wont be getting a decent line up with 3 projectors.
The real problem is the domes. A 20m geodesic retails at $100,000 and thats before you put in the projection surface...

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

From Facebook: 8 April at 14:14:
'Blendy Dome VJ thanks for your interest! The BLENDY DOME VJ is allready out! To order it, please get in touch, we do one-to-one sales : info.americas@unitedvjs.com.br'

green pattern
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by green pattern »

just get mad mapper to do the output of resolume on to dome with 3 projectors y basta!!!

lumenscapes

Post by lumenscapes »

We use vDome for our dome calibration. it does the distortion and edge blending for us and accepts syphon input from any syphon capable software. http://vdome.us/
I have been using resolume lately as the playback it works fine with some frame drops at 2k.

To do the mapping in resolume might be possible but seems like a waste of time. all your content would need to be equirectangular 360° panos to not have a huge nasty seam.

I am looking for a way to use the paul bourke spherical distortions in resolume if anyone knows how to do so WOW.
What i am after is the ability to display rectilinear images within the resolume environment with the correct distortions for the dome.

This would allow for us to create floating panels in the dome and text would display properly.

otherwise we need to use dome specific software and pre render everything with distortions.

cheers domies!

--
Joe Abraham Dean LD

Lumenscapes Illumination Media
1-505-710-8818
www.lumenscapes.com

moleste

Post by moleste »

IT SEEMS THE BEST SOLUTION NOWDAYS IS OMNIDOME http://omnido.me/

BUT WHERE IS SOMETHING USEFUL FOR PC ??? SHOULD I PROGRAM IT BY MYSELF? :ugeek:

DomeLover

Post by DomeLover »

Hi, If you are looking for a Windows 10 solution, check NestMap. It will do what you want and event do autocalibration with a webcam. Send your dome master video from Resolume to NestMap with Spout and Nestmap will do the real-time slicing and blending for you. Try the Beta version, it's free and it work great with many fisheye webcam and it's simple to use.

http://nestimmersion.ca/nestmap