Clips navigation with midi or keyboard

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
barthvis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Clips navigation with midi or keyboard

Post by barthvis »

To Joris and Oaktown:

The OSC address definition: '/composition/layers/y/clips/x/select' points to an absolute address (i.e. /composition/layers/1/clips/1/select). It has an integer type tag with the value 0 or 1 and therefore it can only be either on or off.

They are perfect when you want to map a button to it but not a rotary switch or fader where you have 1-X positions and each position has to sequentially switch to a different OSC address.

What I am looking for is a way to establish this:

Fader position 1 = /composition/layers/1/clips/1/select
Fader position 2 = /composition/layers/1/clips/2/select
Fader position 3 = /composition/layers/1/clips/3/select

Etc...

Realtime situation:
Simply put, I want to map a controller (i.e APC 40 or Griffin Powermate) to CYCLE fast (not switch) SEQUENCIALLY through all available PREVIEWS (not clips) on a layer. (I'm not shouting here, just pointing things out :) )
Both devices only output MIDI or ASCII so OSC is a no go with these devices unless I find a way to translate MIDI to OSC.

But to prove that Joris is right (and he probably is :D ) I tried to build it in Vezer but even Vezer only accepts 1 OSC address per track.

How would you solve this?

Just wondering:
Is there really a global OSC address: '/composition/layers/y/clips/x/select' or are the 'x' and 'y' only here to demonstrate the different absolute addresses for each preview position?

Life used to be so simple in Arena 5... (wink, wink... ;) )
Last edited by barthvis on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Here is a little TouchDesigner script to point you in the right direction. You could easily link two MIDI CC's to the X & Y parameters in the script instead of the sliders.
OSC X & Y.3.toe.zip
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

barthvis

Post by barthvis »

Thanks guys for al the help but why so complex?! :geek:

In the old situation the only thing I had to do = map the shift and arrow keys to the Griffin Powermac controller and I was good to go. Now I have to jump through all kind of OSC hoops!

I made a short video to show the workflow in Arena 5:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6s4n2yi05wz9 ... g.mov?dl=0

Final argument: the only thing I like to see returned in Arena 6 is the shift- arrow keys clip preview navigation.

How hard can that be? PLEASE...?

P.S.
It feels like you have given us a car with an amazing amount of beautiful controls but have taken away the steering wheel...
Last edited by barthvis on Wed Jan 31, 2018 20:43, edited 2 times in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

On Resolume 5, we got lots of complaints/requests that those keys were fixed and limited to the keyboard. People wanted to create their own shortcuts for them. So when we did the gigantic rewrite on the shortcut system, we took out the idea of fixed shortcuts altogether. For instance, hitting Enter to trigger all selected clips is also gone. Eventually, we'd like to offer these and other options as completely freely assignable shortcuts.

Putting the old functionality back in the new system would mean time spent on programming, testing and then supporting something that people were not happy with, and that we'd then change somewhere down the line. We'd like to avoid wasting time by making something twice.

So now is not the time, and your best bet is use OSC or bite the bullet and stay on 5.

VJsynC
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by VJsynC »

So, at Least give us the possibility to Assing our own navigable shotcuts, but not even that is possible with Res6!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We will, but not right now

barthvis

Post by barthvis »

Thanks. :)

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Also want to drop some words here... ;)

Having the ability while setting up a show composition in the office without any midi or osc peripherals connected to Resolume.. fast stepping through hundreds of clips for quick checking their state (alignment, speed, colour,..ect) the possibility doing this with the arrow keys was PERFECT!... Now the only way doing that on the fly is via mouse...it now takes almost twice as long.

Sure...I can script myself something....but that's not very convenient from my point of view.

So my wish:
Implement the old default keybindings with the option to remap or delete them. That would be wonderful :oops:

Best wishes
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

ok ok :) I get it....I'm an idiot :P

I just have to map this....
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (11.49 KiB) Viewed 10351 times

Sorry guys! :)
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

pette
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by pette »

Hi,
But I use tje control as you describe I also trigger the clip... so I cannot “navigate”
It’s right?