midi mapping to video opacity

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Glide
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

midi mapping to video opacity

Post by Glide »

Hi all

I've mapped some midi to the video opacity of layer1 but it seems that you cant map different midi channels to each layer.

I hope I explained that right

I was hoping I could map seperate midi channels/values to each seperate layer so I could manipulate each layer on its own.

However it seems that you need to use a single midi value and then select the layer you wish to change the opacity of.

Is there away around this setup?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: midi mapping to video opacity

Post by Joris »

When you enter Application Midi map, switch the focus from 'layer' to 'deck' in the bottom left of the interface.

Glide

Post by Glide »

Thanks Joris

Will check it out

Appreciated

kammycakes

Post by kammycakes »

Hey folks,

I'm new to Resolume and am performing a show using my visuals piped through Resolume. The visuals will be controlled via chaotic and random MIDI messages coming from a Midi Controller that is connected to a living plant. The living plant is sending velocity data to a midi controller (custom) and then coming to me via Resolume.

I'd like to trigger the visuals based on the range of CC data from the MIDI messages. Is there a way to trigger visuals based on any midi data that comes in between certain ranges? 1-40 = visuals a, 40-87 = visuals a + B and 87-127 = visuals a + b + c.

When I look at the midi it, it's very sporatic and I'd like to pin it down and apply it to opacity and nice transitions between visuals.

I hope this is clear! :)

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

There is no functionality for this in Resolume itself. So you'll need a 3rd party tool that can 'translate' your MIDI input and forwards it to Resolume.
You could write a processing sketch for this (https://processing.org/) or use a tool like 'Bome Midi Translator (https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator#).

kammycakes

Post by kammycakes »

I'm receiving MIDI CC and CTL messages when I open preferences. When I attempt to map these to a clip it jumps around because the input is random. Please see attached.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 9.52.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 9.53.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 9.53.17 AM.png

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Do do the actual mapping with random messages like this, switch off the Midi inputs in preferences, go to edit midi shortcuts, and right click on the highlighted item you want to map.
Then select Create CC shortcut, or Create Note shortcut, and select the CC or note your'd like in the shortcut panel.
Exit mapping, enable the midi inputs back, and your shortcut should be working.

Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

kammycakes

Post by kammycakes »

Thank you, Zoltan. However, I'm having some interesting Resolume midi handling issues when doing that.

When I map a CC from my midi controller to a clip -- it does not trigger even though I midi mapped it to the clip. Instead, Resolume seems to only be processing Notes "Types" -- Channel 80 and Notes (C#, D#). Please see the attachment.

I'd like to have it read and map the Value. The number indicated on the far right of the Midi Preferences Input Table.

Thank you again.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 4.33.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 4.34.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 4.33.56 PM.png

kammycakes

Post by kammycakes »

To further clarify, when I follow @Zoltan's instructions, it seems to only listen to Midi "Type" numbers and or notes. Instead, I want it to read "Channel" and "Value" in the midi message tables to I can correlate this with Opacity, Color of my clips.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

To clear up a bit, one CC is a single Controller Channel. It can send you values from 0- 127.
There are a lot of Controller channels you can use, looks like CC80 is what you get the most data from.

As Edwin said, launching a clip with a range of a CC is not possible. If you map a CC to a clip trigger, it will trigger once it receives a value higher than 0.
To launch clips with CC-s again, like you have mapped with cc44, 54, 64 in your screenshot, the CC must return to 0 again before the clip will be triggered again.

The approach you try with the Connect specific clip shortcut, and the single CC80 would be what I'd recommend following, instead of mapping every clip to a specific CC.
That will give you 127 clip slots in the layer that can be triggered.

If you want to launch based on the range like you mention, value 0-20 clip1, 21-40 clip2 etc, that's not possible natively.
You can either do a translation in a third party app, which will give you a lot better control of what will happen,

or duplicate your clip1 to column 1-20 into a layer, set the clips to relative pick-up: https://resolume.com/support/en/video#playmode-away
This way if you get values int he range of 0-20 on CC80, your clip should appear like playing continuously.
Downside is that if you do the same with clip2, and you get a value 20, then a value 30, clip 2 will play where clip 1 in column 20 left off.

Once you got the clip triggering figured out, you can map other Controller channels to clip or layer opacities.

The randomness of the data might not be your friend here though.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu