120fps playback

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
ianmcdan
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

120fps playback

Post by ianmcdan »

Wondering if anybody has experimented with high framerate playback?

I have a client that wants to do a movie shoot... All content will be made at 24fps... but on set they want to play back at 120fps to a video wall (I will have a processor and wall that will support 120) to do some slo-mo stuff... and it won't drop frames on the video wall if we play back at 120.

Anyway... In theory... if I could make a 120fps video file (I know Premiere won't do it)... transcode to DXV, then as long as the computer sees a 120Hz connection to the video wall... Resolume should play all the frames at 120Hz, correct?

I realize that I'm probably going to have to build a custom rig for this.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
~Ian

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: 120fps playback

Post by Empyfree »

Surely you want to film at 120, then play back at 24/25/50 etc for “slo mo”?

I’ve never seen or heard of a connection running at greater than 60hz.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: 120fps playback

Post by drazkers »

Empyfree wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 06:10 Surely you want to film at 120, then play back at 24/25/50 etc for “slo mo”?

I’ve never seen or heard of a connection running at greater than 60hz.
So the way Resolume via the nvidia settings can run up to like 110 FPS, shows it can playback at that. Outputs are usually locked to your screen which means you need a 120 or 144 hz screen.

OP is correct you want 120 FPS content to match the frame rate of the camera. So the content plays at normal speed while anyone in the scene will move slowly when everything is sped back up from 120 to 24 FPS.

Biggest problem is you can't use LED, the processor and the led wall won't do 120HZ.

Buuuut alot of barco projectors that do 4k will do 1080p@120 via dvi. To do that you need a dual link slot on your card or a proper displayport to dvi adapter with a usb cable on the dongle.

In theory it will work, i'm actually testing this in canada this week, so i'll report back later about it.

Theory with projectors Yes.
With LED. NO.