Content at 30 or 60 fps?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
bonuslazer
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Content at 30 or 60 fps?

Post by bonuslazer »

I have been in the process of updating/rendering some of my content clips from my previous projector resolution to 1080p, which seems like a good happy medium for shows. My question is what is ideal for VJ sets, 30 or 60 fps? Also would this answer be different for longer clips like 10 minutes?

Anyone chime in on advantages or disadvantages for 30 or 60? Playback, file size, video card and hardware restrictions etc? Projectors vs LED wall?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Content at 30 or 60 fps?

Post by Arvol »

60 is smoother and allows for a smoother speed adjust. File size is larger due to more information. I make all of my content at 60fps and to a 120bpm click track.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Just want to add...

if you just talking of re-encoding your content and not re-render it with new output preferences out of After FX...Cinema4D ect.
...then keep the fps of your source footage. It makes no sense to simple recode a 30fps clip to 60fps.

The file get unnecessary bigger and more performance hungry.....because every of the 30 fps frames gets doubled to match 60 while re-encoding. The content will not get smoother.

The same for the resolution...If you just re-encode them to fit your new projector resolution. Don't do it. Let Resolume do it for you. Use the scaling options in Resolume.

If you really re-render out of your content creation software... than do it. Like Arvol already mentioned...60 fps is much smoother but also need more performance for playback hardware sides. So, your frames might drop.

Best wishes
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

bonuslazer
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by bonuslazer »

cosmowe wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 13:45 Just want to add...

if you just talking of re-encoding your content and not re-render it with new output preferences out of After FX...Cinema4D ect.
...then keep the fps of your source footage. It makes no sense to simple recode a 30fps clip to 60fps.
I meant for re-rendering straight from AE or Cinema. I'm a motion designer so typically used to rendering in 29.97/30 fps, but just recently realized I may have been missing an opportunity for more smooth animation in Resolume. Probably will just keep my existing 30 fps clips and do 60 for any new content.

Thanks!
A

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

25-30fps is all I need.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It really depends on how you use your content in Resolume. If you're going to play with speed, then you might want to render your animations at higher fps such as 120, 240, 300, 480 on up to 999 in AE to get smooth slow motion effects when necessary.
bonuslazer wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 20:12
cosmowe wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 13:45 Just want to add...

I meant for re-rendering straight from AE or Cinema. I'm a motion designer so typically used to rendering in 29.97/30 fps, but just recently realized I may have been missing an opportunity for more smooth animation in Resolume. Probably will just keep my existing 30 fps clips and do 60 for any new content.

Thanks!
A

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Was writing a reply but now I see that magically deleted it. :lol:
That's my point, Oaktown: Content leads.
I have a different aproach to speed variations, because I think flow is tied to motion blur, not to framerate itself (isn't that a video camera use legacy?). My starting point use to be settle what flow need the particular content.
Is still hard to explain me in a foreign language, but try to follow me.
If need a stacatto I can have it any framerate. But if I need a smooth slow down, I will center my attention on the motion blur. When creating content (like in c4d) we use to render an image sequence that's not tied to framerate (I know if you set a higher framerate at render will create more frames, but again, that's a metaphor). Then you render your image sequence as movie clip at any framerate. So, that sequence bundled on a 120fps clip at 1x will look same as 30fps playing at 4x, because frames are the same.
I want your toughs about this matter, please.