first live show general story

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
wowmootacos
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

first live show general story

Post by wowmootacos »

Just performed first live show and first time ever learning Resolume, heres a short events log and feedback.

So I had like 2 weeks to toss together a live VJ set of stuff for a soul/pop concert with 21 songs around 3-6 mins each. So leaning on prepacks of rave like graphics was not going to fit the style, im also really picky about needing to make my own visuals cause wahst the point of art if its not my work...

In addition to the Resolume playback, one song required a live Unity game engine app running with a very alpha dev feature of the HTC Vive headless mode to perform motion tracking visuals with little hocky pucks. NOT EASY to get it to run well or work at all at times and getting the camera to behave. Will try a different motion tracking dancer hardware in a different show

The copmputer is a custom build tower with an old Nvidia 1080ti. Its getting screwed up so much that After Effects app has some weird zoom issue, and b at some point in the upgrade cycle of Resolume I had a glitch of the app that prevented proper or no playback of the preview and output view. So far I have not solved it with email support. BUT! The floating output window worked so we bought the software cause the management features were key to getting the show to happen. Otherwise it would have been an awful franekstien unity project

I have extensive experience with motion graphics and programming in Unity, After Effects, Blender and Webgl apps, so using Resolume was pretty easy to step into from the great amount of instructional videos and applied knowledge, SUPER THANK YOU for those videos Resolume staff.

Making perfect loops in after effects and blender can be tricky, there's definite room for dev stuff to step into there. I loved how most times Resolumes timeline loop tools got it smoothly. I had some issue retiming the boundaries of the envelopes min max and could not at all get a good array of wall text or banner timing to build out Grided designs, making random feeling things was easier but not what I was after.

During this I also was learning Snode app cause I read that I can feed it live to Resolume if I wanted live tweaks which sounds super fun, but instead opted for exported videos cause learning that app is a different tricky and is much slower and eats video card resources.

Another bug I hit that could have been a show stopper is Display full screen to second monitor, this completely freezes the app. So I had to op for dragging the window over to the projectors monitor which is SUPER janky looking live cause DRUM ROLL the unity app needed to play first and the only behaviour I could find is Resolumes floating window renders over everything which I like but well thats apart of it all since we did not have a video switcher hardware tool and two comps

So the strategy to perform that change over was 4 parts.

First: Live Unity Play mode does not support dual monitor support full screen. LAME.
So I had to change the desktop wallpaper to the shows logo on black static not animating

Second: before the show line up the unity window and zoom the projector settings to hide the top and bottom of the view

Third have task monitor app open so I could force quit Unity app so it drops right into the desktop image view and gives me back some performance for Resolume

Forth: before the show use a large logo and use some kind of visual marker from shadows on the stages screen from instruments to visually practice placing the floating window onto the view. Then during the show playfully spin the window onto the view making it feel like its an animation while making sure the cursor was in a white section of the the logo

So with all of that going I had enough loops that had live effects over the After effect loops and videos

One thing I learned however is HAVE MORE effects ready to go that you can live tweak, AND dress up prerecorded footage video with some color effectors to keep a thump feeling going. The artist had a whole different opening artist none of us knew about, so I futzed with things live to fill the time space that were previously rejects I left in

I found out that I can not copy a clip and paste it somewhere else with out the output window going black or some playback I did not like

The second is dragging some effect property sliders is not subtle like scale, it would jerk at first which looks janky, color hue changes worked smoothly

I read somewhere that Resolume Version 6 had per clip opacity and layer blend mode. 7 SUPER needs this back, I did not use the layers slider cause it would screw up various other set builds without knowing what screwed it up

Duplicates are tricky, I would love a simple programmable filter I could do logic in.
The time line view is fiddly for fine looping. The cloner and Transform and blend mode dont work as expected by default. A replicator tool like After effects would be nice but even after eccts could be stream lined etc

Having a guest with you helping you drive the show helps you see the next clips and what to edit live

Other apps I tired before hand ind in another project were VVVV <- does not play nice with large res monitors and I hate the close window system enough to not bother

Blender live view would be fun need to see if Resolume could display it

Over all great app!!! Quite fun to see after effects like stuff live

bart
Team Resolume

Re: first live show general story

Post by bart »

wowmootacos wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 21:08 Resolume was pretty easy to step into from the great amount of instructional videos and applied knowledge, SUPER THANK YOU for those videos Resolume staff.
You're welcome! We're glad this helped you to make such a complicated show work in such a short time.
Another bug I hit that could have been a show stopper is Display full screen to second monitor, this completely freezes the app.
That should definitely not happen. What version did you use? Does this also happen when resolume is the only app running? If you're getting a crash report then please send that in or use the Feebcak tab in the preferences to send us the log file.

Thank you for your extended report!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

wowmootacos wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 21:08I read somewhere that Resolume Version 6 had per clip opacity and layer blend mode. 7 SUPER needs this back, I did not use the layers slider cause it would screw up various other set builds without knowing what screwed it up
Still there in R7 but the menu might be collapsed.

phpBB [video]

wowmootacos wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 21:08I found out that I can not copy a clip and paste it somewhere else with out the output window going black or some playback I did not like
Were all the clips in your active deck DXV3?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

wowmootacos wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 21:08 Another bug I hit that could have been a show stopper is Display full screen to second monitor, this completely freezes the app.
Probably Nahimic, or Sonic Suite causing this: https://resolume.com/support/en/freeze- ... ing-output
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu