midi mapping limitation?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

midi mapping limitation?

Post by mowgli »

I'm trying to figure out if the following is possible with direct MIDI mapping to Resolume, it appears it's not which I find strange.
I'm trying to map the clip/dashboard knobs so that they relate to a layer. ie knob 1 on my midi controller will always control knob 1 of ALL the clip's dashboards on Layer 1
I can't seem to find a way to do this that doesn't involve mapping every single clip's knob individually which is cumbersome to say the least.
I find it strange that this is not possible as it appears like a very logical way of mapping to me, especially bearing in mind that it is not possible to have more than one clip selected on the same layer.
I'm not sure if the explanation is clear enough.
Let me know!
thanks

mowgli

Re: midi mapping limitation?

Post by mowgli »

I forgot to add that even if I go mapping every single clip's dashboard, this is going to take forever as I have to go in and out of midi mapping mode every time I want to map a different clip!
And...you can assign shortcut groups to a MIDI knob but not a dashboard one, why?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Indeed, mapping dashboards on the clip level can only be done for the selected clip easily.
If you want to map the same dial on your controller to a dashboard dial in every clip, then you need to do it for every clip currently.

Are you using the same effect mapped to the dashboard on these clips?
Maybe using an Effect clip, or layer effects would work.
And...you can assign shortcut groups to a MIDI knob but not a dashboard one, why?
Could you give an example what you'd like to do exactly?
Thanks!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

I'm trying to make a midi mapping template from which I can control the dashboard of every clip I throw at the document on a per layer basis.
Basically with 6 knobs I want to control all the dashboards from all the clips on one layer.
Maybe this is best done editing the XML manually?

I'm surprised that it's not easily doable as for me it makes complete sense as it's the paradigm of a multichannel mixer where I can control everything on each layer with one set of controls per layer

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I wouldn't recommend editing the XML manually.

I'd recommend trying to map your effect on the layer. Or using effect clips.

In a mixer paradigm, the layer would be your channel, and the clips, the audio coming in. You also wouldn't change the properties of every audio track you'd play, at once, right?

What do you have assigned on all your clips to the dashboards?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

I can't use effects clips, I'm controlling generative content with the dashboard.

The point is that there can only be one clip playing on a layer at any one time so I don't understand where the problem lies.

All I'm trying to do is have a document ready where I can load as many generative clips I want to a layer and have their dashboard controls ready mapped.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

mowgli wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 19:13 The point is that there can only be one clip playing on a layer at any one time so I don't understand where the problem lies.
Actually, you can have two clips playing on a single layer, during transition for 10 seconds.

Sounds like the "Selected clip" target could work for you then, for your dashboard shortcuts.

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

selected clip won't work because that means having to select the clip and it also relates to ANY clip, not a layer-specific clip.

My aim is to control whatever's playing on a specific layer from a fixed set of 6 knobs per layer.

I see the potential problem when using a long transition between clips but it's not really a problem, you'd just be controlling them both at the same time.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Thanks for explaining.
We'll look how we can think of something to make this type of setups easier.

francoe

Post by francoe »

One posible solution can be adding a 'By Position Layer' behaviour.
Ex: Composition Layers 1 Dashboard Link 1
(took me some time to undestand what was mowgli asking by. :lol: )