Video record with alpha

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
sefreso
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Video record with alpha

Post by sefreso »

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone was able to record a video using the video record feature in resolume while keeping the alpha layer?

.mov files are supposed to be able to support an alpha layer

However, when I import back into Resolume the recorded video, there is no alpha layer anymore.

Thanks!

keil.corcoran
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Video record with alpha

Post by keil.corcoran »

Hey dude! I signed up just to respond to this.

I too was vexed by the inability to record video within Resolume without alpha. Here's the solution.

1. Download Syphon Recorder. It's open source and works great. http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/

2. In Resolume click Output>Texture Sharing(Syphon)

3. In Syphon Recorder, go to Preferences and choose Apple Animation as your codec. Check Preserve Alpha Channel.

4. Hit record in Syphon Recorder! Dunzo.

Hope this helped you!

-k

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Resolume records using a TurboJPEG codec, this doesn't support Alpha.

IDK why, but this new craze for everyone wanting to record hour long VJ sets and the need for alpha is blowing my mind. Why the all of a sudden craze for this? This isn't what that feature was designed for.
It's a quick way to capture a look or a stack of looks, not meant as a performance recorder (who does that!??)

You can always add an auto mask FX to your clip, or use another app that is meant for long term recording with codec and output options to configure.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

You'll need a TouchPlayer Commercial License to record and output anything over 720p, and to enable NDI, but here's an app I made that will hold the last frame of any input source, in case of a drop out, but it also has a record function built in as well.

It outputs HAP Q at 60FPS with Audio.

Cheers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jhyaR ... p=drive_fs

keil.corcoran
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by keil.corcoran »

@Arvol there are so many reasons why you would want to be able to export with alpha. No one said anything about recording an hour long set.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

keil.corcoran wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 23:36 @Arvol there are so many reasons why you would want to be able to export with alpha. No one said anything about recording an hour long set.
This reply is about a year late ;)
On a side note, the latest release of Resolume now supports the OP's feature request, so hopefully he is up and running now.
If my memory serves me right, I believe he also asked this same question on FB in regards to recording his VJ set. Could be wrong, but I believe this was the case, which is why I brought up the point of people wanting to record hour long sets. Unfortunately the big issue back then was the maximum record time was typically under 1 min, there has been MAJOR improvements in the recording section since then :)