Ideal 4k File Type, Codec, and Workflow Mac -> PC

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
CaseyJ
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Ideal 4k File Type, Codec, and Workflow Mac -> PC

Post by CaseyJ »

I am looking to get some help on what kind of file type, Codex, and Workflow I can create to improve what I am doing.

This is for a projection mapping piece. The content needs to be 4k (3840 x 2160 @ 30). I am having a hard time getting things right. Often the file sizes are unmanageable or take multiple days to render.

I know the current strategy is to convert files to DXV but this is not realistic from the past 2 weeks of work.

For instance if I take my .mp4 file with a H.264 codec, about 45 minutes long (it's art!), at the 4k size mentioned above, it takes almost 2 days to render out of Alley (Intel NUC 8th Gen) and is nearly 100 GB once done (vs 3 GB when I started). Keep in mind this is not some 3D render raytracing from scratch this is merely the conversion time through alley from an already natively playable file. This makes converting into DXV untenable in my eyes although I use it everywhere else all the time.

For one file conversion once in my life maybe. But we are working with multiple artists and have lots of these clips we need to playback using the awesome foundation of Avenue 7.We would really really like to use this software. It makes creating lists of content and ordering them so easy. We just cannot scale our computing power to handle this. Especially when the system can playback the file on t's own just fine. There must be other optimizations or methods of getting these clips into Avenue 7 which is why I reach out.

I tried using the fresh out of Premiere .mp4 / H.264 file but Resolume won't play it. Even though the Resolume docs say "if Windows Media player et al. plays it then Resolume will. Windows does. Resolume doesn't. Tried all the fancy drag/import tricks too.

Is there something I am missing? A super secret file type and codec combo that works better? Some arcane missing package from intel, or QuickTime, that I have not installed?

Thank you for any feedback.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Ideal 4k File Type, Codec, and Workflow Mac -> PC

Post by drazkers »

What version are you using?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

MP4 is a highly compressed keyframe based format, and it's indeed not recommended to use with Resolume.
​It's being decoding on the CPU, so playing multiple 4k mp4 files at once can have a big hit on your CPU usage. Basically it can only be used, played back at nominal speed, and forwards.
On a NUC I could imagine you're running into CPU limits playing the files, as you're also running into with encoding, and rendering.
Encoding a 45 minutes 4k file to DXV with Alley on my Theradripper desktop takes about 30 minutes.

​We recommend to use DXV encoded video clips with uncompressed audio for best performance. DXV can be decoded on the GPU, taking the load off your CPU.

Resolume installers also install a plugin for Quicktime, and Adobe products, so DXV should also show up as an option in the Quicktime formats, or stand alone in the Format list - depending on which converter you use - so you can export right to DXV.

If you're working between mac and PC, you could also try prores, but that's also decoded on the CPU, and the file sizes are also huge.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by subpixel »

Transcode to JPEG/MJPEG in a .mov container maybe? At least then the there are no interframe hassles.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Using mjpeg or h264 in a mov container won't change the codec. DXV is also in a mov container ;)
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

bandaide
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by bandaide »

Hi guys I am in same boat different computers I found nice 4k footage to play around with but it is unplayable in res but media player plays it fine i9 9700k rtx 2060 16 gig ram is totally forks res AND alley screen goes that opaque white takes forever to get it to convert ..just stalls if i find regular mp4 4k or upscle to 4k itll play smooth and is Alley friendly the codec is h264 part 10 it is totally unusable I have file tho large 500 meg I have the media info too if you want to try it zoltan guaranteds itll not load v6 or v7
Attachments
video file media info.rar
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 477 times

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Sent you a pm.