Microphone for Live audio effects

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
sefreso
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Microphone for Live audio effects

Post by sefreso »

Hello,

I am looking for a microphone that I could use with my external audio card when it's not possible to be directly plugged into the mixer console.

The microphone would be used as an input in Resolume so it could be used to make some effects reactive.

It would be used in rooms of different shape and sizes either at the stage or at the back but mainly for electronic amplified music in club avenues.

I know it's probably not ideal but I am hopping it's better than not having sound input at all :)

Would you guys suggest a few models? Should it be omni or directional and pointed at a specific angle?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Microphone for Live audio effects

Post by Arvol »

Save your money and just buy a Focusrite Solo and get a XLR coming off your sound guy's desk. Have it set to pre fade and come out a matrix or aux. you'll get 1000% better results.

sefreso

Post by sefreso »

This is the soundcard I bought, thanks for the advice.

It has happens that the sound guy is not close enough or that he didn't have any socket available or for lack of time.

Anyway, it actually happens.

So I need a microphone as a backup plan.

Would you explain though what "come out a matrix or aux" means? Thanks!

sefreso

Post by sefreso »

Would for example a Shure SM58 fit the bill?

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Better then the internal mic of a laptop for sure ;)

But i would say spare some money and just get the SM48 (its mostly the same but cost the half..)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Buy a long XLR cable and keep it for yourself. A 100'/30M cable will cost $25. Throw in a XLR to 1/4' adapter and you're set. If your sound guy doesn't know how to route an aux, he needs to find a new job!

If you have to get a mic, a SM57 or a cheaper AT condenser should get you on your feet, but going direct will get you the best results.

sefreso

Post by sefreso »

I remembered I have a h4n zoom recorder.

This device is perfect for this situation as it acts as an external USB Asio sound card with 2 XLR inputs and has a directional & ominidirectional integrated microphones for backup.

Jgrover

Post by Jgrover »

If this actually comes up often enough for you to invest in a microphone... And there is always a sound guy with a mixing board... you could go for a wireless XLR transmitter/receiver. That plus a passive splitter will give the sound guy back whatever output he is losing to you, and no cable to tape.. You can also use the inserts on a mixer as direct outs if you have the right cable. Almost no sound guys use the inserts. They do take batteries though.

I would not recommend an SM58 for this purpose over the built in mic of your laptop. It’s too directional, and it’s very vocal specific. You would have to put it right on the grill of one of the main speakers. And if you’re doing that, get an SM57... and a long cable. And a ton of gaff tape...

If you need a mic that can be placed at the back of the room then you should go with an Omni or cardioid condenser pointed at the speakers. Since you just want accurate signal, a Cheap measurement mic would actually be great for this. I have a Nady CM100 that only cost around $80 (about the price of a 58) I’ve had it for 8 years and it still works great. It’s very accurate and can handle a lot of gain.

If you need to use the laptop mic for a gig, then hi-pass the input and only listen for frequencies under 100Hz. The subs should be the only thing triggering it, unless you bang on the table or sit next to Barry White.