DMX and bypass

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

DMX and bypass

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Do we really need a full DMX channel for a bypass button? I realize since it is a toggle button, it is off at 0 and on at 1 which translates to 0% and 100%, but it seems like a waste using a full DMX channel for a toggle button.

I've tried making an envelope to change the toggle value, but that doesn't work, it seems fixed at 50%.

Is there a way to change the DMX toggle range for the bypass buttons?

If I do something like put all 4 autopilot toggles on same DMX channel at different ranges, it works as expected moving through the channel ranges. Changing a bypass to be on at anything below 50% doesn't work.

EX: Bypass for Hue Rotate On at 0% to 1%, Bypass for Hue Rotate Off above 1% and actual hue value changes happen between 1% and 100%

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: DMX and bypass

Post by Arvol »

DMX acts like MIDI does now in Resolume 7. What version are you running?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

dirtyjohn_lv wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 08:53 If I do something like put all 4 autopilot toggles on same DMX channel at different ranges, it works as expected moving through the channel ranges. Changing a bypass to be on at anything below 50% doesn't work.
Autopilot toggle is actually one 4 option switch.
It's behavior is the same as a bypass. One has 4 options over the 0-255 range, the other has 2. Both controls are equally divided into 4 vs 2 parts of the range.
EX: Bypass for Hue Rotate On at 0% to 1%, Bypass for Hue Rotate Off above 1% and actual hue value changes happen between 1% and 100%
If you're on 7, try Envelopes.
https://resolume.com/support/en/paramet ... and-events
Tip! The Bypass button on effects can also be animated! Right click to reveal its animation menu!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

I'm on 7.0.5. Tried using envelopes.
Using the envelope from the picture works as expected as long as operating the envelope directly or midi

When I map DMX and send signal using DMX workshop from same pc and separate pc, I have to invert the signal (not that way with midi). It almost ignores the envelope I've made and uses the 1% cut I've made as an offset for the bypass. Video attached (running DMX workshop on separate PC to record video. Moving dynamically through single channel at the fastest speed available. If if move the fader with the mouse, the bypass value jumps all over the place

https://ln.sync.com/dl/204963e00/jeagke ... 9-i5j42hj2
Attachments
bypass envelope.png

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

This is a work around for now.
The difficult part is I'm trying to put a "color wheel"/strobe rate at end of the corresponding bypass channels. This works for strobe - and colors for now. I have 13 colors to fit into 50% range, which is about 3.5-4% per color. Fine for now, but starts to become a hassle if you add to many more colors. If you use hue rotate with this method, you seem to lose some of the in between colors

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Sounds advanced. Maybe look into some external processing to really customize your setup?