output two 'screens' that each have multiple layers

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
danklim
Is taking Resolume on a second date

output two 'screens' that each have multiple layers

Post by danklim »

Hi, I'm trying to use Resolume Avenue to output two 'screens' that each have multiple layers, can you please help?

I'm trying to output two 'screens' via syphon (or ndi) to two instances of obs so i can live stream on two channels simultaneously. I want to use multiple layers of video from each screen. The goal is basically this- I have two webcams and I want to be able to apply a chroma key effect to each webcam and then send the feed from webcam (including the background from the layer below) to two different streams.

I've tried setting this up in the advanced video output settings but it only allows me to output layers. If allowed me to output columns then I could make that work, but since it only allows layers that means that it's not allowing me to output two blended layers at one time in one screen/slice. I also tried using a video router source on a layer and routing the videos below it, and then including the layer with the video router on it in the advanced output settings. I thought that this would allow me to capture the second webcam and the background below it, but this does not work either. The advance output settings only allow ‘input bypass' or 'input opacity’ on the layer that the video router is and the video router itself has no setting for ‘input bypass’ or ‘input opacity’ on it, so this means that its not allowing me to use the layer with the router on it as a separate screen to output the second webcam feed without also making the second webcam show up in the background of the first webcam feed.

How can I output two 'screens' that each have multiple layers?

Thanks,
Dan

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: output two 'screens' that each have multiple layers

Post by He2neg »

Did you find the Group Option allready... you can combine as many layers as you like to a group and chose this group as ainput for a slice...
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

danklim

Post by danklim »

Thank you. I did not know about the groups and it looks like it does exactly what I'm looking for. However, I just noticed that this is only available in Resolume Arena, I have Resolume Avenue and not sure if I can afford to upgrade to Arena. Is there any way to output two 'screens' with multiple layers in Resolume Avenue?

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

mhm...
workaround without groups...

you can set 1 screen with one slice input composition
2nd screen with each layer has one slice with the "ignore layer bypass"

other solution (and maybe the better one)

extend your composition to dubble wide, move all layers for screen one to the left side and all the others to the right... then use input mapping to take left side for slice 1 and right side for slice 2...

and now i see that both workarounds also need advanced output.... i never had avenue installed so i guess you need to try without my help sry...

I did installed avenue and the workaround will work ;) just set your comp to the dobble wide and push the layers and place you slices the same way...
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~Berlin~

danklim

Post by danklim »

Thanks so much! :D

I don't think the first solution would work well for my purpose because as far as I understand that would make it so that I cannot midi map or quickly change things like the opacity unless I do it from the advanced output screen.

Just tested the second solution and it seems like it works very well. The only thing I'm wondering is if doubling the composition width will have a big impact on cpu/gpu and use much more resources than it would when using groups on a normal sized composition? I would only be outputting "screen 1" (the left side of the composition) and "screen 2" (the right side the left side of the composition) via syphon or ndi, not the full composition, so I'm imagining that there wouldn't be a big difference but am not sure.

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

The amount of pixles resolume have to render are the same... it doesnt matter if they are above each other or next to each other...

You can do some test how your system handle it but my guess is taht you find a small differnt (maybe)
~Berlin~

danklim

Post by danklim »

Thank you.

This setup has been working well but I just realized that it does not allow me to zoom into an image in the way that I'm familiar with. I use webcams often and there are sometimes that I want to zoom into a portion of the screen/feed that is coming from a specific webcam. In the past, I used the scale parameter to zoom in/out the webcam, and used the Anchor X and Anchor Y parameters to position the frame of what is being zoomed in. This worked well to allow me to zoom in to any part of the image, but it is not working now that I have one very wide canvas with two webcams on it. Whenever I increase the scale of one of the webcams/clips, the entire frame of the webcam/clip gets larger and starts to cover up the other clip/webcam that is on the other half of the double wide composition canvas. This is an issue because when I zoom on one webcam I don't want to cover up the feed of the other webcam.

Is there any way to make this work with Avenue so that I can zoom into one of the webcams but not cover up the over webcam when doing so?

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

Did you zoom the layer lvl or the clip lvl? I guess its not so easy.

I would need to try out to give you an correct anwser. So i may need a few days :)
~Berlin~

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

I cant try in the moment but i have a idea:

1 Keystone mask to mask out the are you want
2 Transform to zoom this area to the right size
3 Automask to get rid of the black boarder

This wont be easy and quick adjustable but can work :)
~Berlin~

danklim

Post by danklim »

Thanks again, really appreciate your help. :)
He2neg wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 21:51 Did you zoom the layer lvl or the clip lvl? I guess its not so easy.
I normally just zoom on the clip but have tried zooming both the layer and the clip and both have the same issue.
He2neg wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 21:54 I cant try in the moment but i have a idea:

1 Keystone mask to mask out the are you want
2 Transform to zoom this area to the right size
3 Automask to get rid of the black boarder
Can you please provide more details about how to make this work? I just tried many variations of putting the keystone mask and automask on both of the clips and also putting the keystone and automask on a new clip above both of these clips but have not been able to make it work. I've never used keystone mask before and think I understand how this works but am not sure about how to actually make it work.

He2neg wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 21:54 This wont be easy and quick adjustable but can work
I want to be able to quickly adjust the zoom using a midi controller, but don't mind some additional time setting that up in the first place as long as I don't have to keep setting it up and using the midi controller is quick to adjust zoom on the fly once its set up.

Also, do you think that this would use a lot of computing resources to use these two masks? I imagine that I would have to use two pairs of these masks so that I can be able to zoom on both of the two screens.