OSC output for playhead position in absolute vs relative float

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
drummerclint
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

OSC output for playhead position in absolute vs relative float

Post by drummerclint »

Hey everyone, long time listener, first time caller.

My overall goal that I want to accomplish is to drive other systems via Resolume - for example: send timecode to lighting via a specific clip's playback position.

Sending OSC data from the playhead, you get a floating number from 0.0 - 1.0, where the range maps out to be from 0 to the duration of the clip in a pretty high resolution.

Can we have an option to make that an absolute number instead, possibly in seconds or frames?

The current work around I have in mind is to write an oscii-bot script where you list your clip, its frame rate and duration and re-parse it into a format that I can send to Arjan's Orange-Pi LTC generator/converter (http://www.orangepi-dmx.org/orange-pi-s ... -converter). Getting an absolute value would be very helpful as it would save having to derive the playback position from duration and frame rate.

Additionally, we could use that information to make an enlarged elapsed time or time remaining display :D

If an absolute value will never happen, can we get the possibility to send duration and frame rate via OSC instead? :cry:

Thanks so much!

Clint

deflost
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: OSC output for playhead position in absolute vs relative float

Post by deflost »

+44
westfernsehen, leipzig

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: OSC output for playhead position in absolute vs relative float

Post by Arvol »

Sounds like an absolute pain to troubleshoot if something goes wrong in a show. Not saying it can't be done, but man.... that adds a 100 more steps to troubleshoot and when the show is down, time is money (and your job). Wouldn't it be safer, to just have LTC track or generator run the entire show?
You could have a small OSC patch listen for an incoming command that would:
A.) Load the desired clip
and
B.) Start the LTC generator's playhead (or also, load an audio file playing back LTC)
Then just have your clip and your lighting console listen for the LTC for synchronized playback.
If you're wanting to go OSC due to distance constraint's (running everything via network), you can use digital IP based audio devices (virtual) to do your routing.

Just my 2 cents.