Wave Warp timing in R6 vs R7

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
davesro34
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Wave Warp timing in R6 vs R7

Post by davesro34 »

Hello. I upgraded from R6 to R7 today. In R6, when I applied the same wave warp preset to two clips, they would be synced up and move together. In R7, the wave warps are not timed up and the clips are out of sync. Did something change in R7 that makes this the expected behavior, or is this a bug? Are there any workarounds I can use to recreate what I had in R6?

I was using this in a doorway type effect, where I had an outline layer, and an interior layer using a mask I made from the outline image (outside of resolume). Then I added the same motion effects (wave warp and transform) to the outline and the interior so they would move together, while I could still put effects on the interior pre-mask so I could make the interior do fun stuff.

davesro34

Re: Wave Warp timing in R6 vs R7

Post by davesro34 »

Some more information about this, which led to a workaround!

It seems in R7 the wave warp doesn't advance if the layer opacity is 0 (in R6, the wave warp was unaffected for me), so by fiddling with turning the layer opacity off and on, I can get the wave warp back into the phase that I want.

Not the cleanest workaround, and it would be nice if there were a way to automatically resync it, but it got the job done for me.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I guess you have parameters animated on the Wave warp. If you're using the same preset, then the animations should be in sync when the clips are launched at the same time.
It seems in R7 the wave warp doesn't advance if the layer opacity is 0
Hmm, works for me...
Which 7.x.x. version are you using?
Do you have the wave warp on the clip or the layer?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

davesro34

Post by davesro34 »

Thanks Zoltán, you are right! The wave warps do sync up when I start the clips together. I didn't realize this because I was only ever troubleshooting with one column. I thought clicking "Column 1" at the top would fully reset all of the clips (since it does reset clip timelines), but apparently it doesn't reset the wave warp unless i first go to a different column and then come back. (As far as I can tell, it never mattered in R6 whether the clips were started together, the wave warps were always in sync.)

This solves my problem for almost all cases, but for what it's worth, I do still have the behavior that the wave warp doesn't advance if opacity is 0. This is with no parameter animation, even with a new composition with just two clips with the default wave warp preset (on the clip, I haven't tried it on the layer).

I'm running Resolume 7.1.1 rev 68159, which from what I can tell on the website, is the current version? For some reason check for updates isn't working for me right now ("Update error! An error occurred in retrieving update information; are you sure you're connected to the internet?"). Any ideas on what might be the issue there? Based on a previous forum post of yours, I've tried disabling the firewall completely, but no luck. In command line, ping resolume.com gives:
Pinging resolume.com [87.233.64.162] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 87.233.64.162: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=54
Reply from 87.233.64.162: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=54
Reply from 87.233.64.162: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=54
Reply from 87.233.64.162: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 87.233.64.162:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 87ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 88ms