OSC trigger fault

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Blusound
Is taking Resolume on a second date

OSC trigger fault

Post by Blusound »

Hello
I am building a Touchdesigner tool palette to automate columns triggering in Arena with OSC. I encountered random trigger fault. I spent 2 days looking for a bug in my Touchdesigner app but I found that Arena randomly receives OSC data but refuses to trigger.
trigger fault.png
This is what happens: Arena receives OSC data, start to trigger but after 2 frames it stops. I tried hundreds times but after 30 or 40 or 50 loops it stops.
Arena 6.1.5.68469
Both Arena and Touchdesigner are on the same machine. I did not tried over LAN but I'd like to do the thing work in this way.
Do you have any suggestion?
Best regards
Leonardo

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: OSC trigger fault

Post by Zoltán »

Is the clip or the composition trigger style set to piano?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Blusound

Post by Blusound »

Zoltán wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 19:59 Is the clip or the composition trigger style set to piano?
Hi Zoltan
thantks for your reply. I did not know piano about trigger style. I think it could solve the problem but that way I will not able to use the Arena GUI as I am used to do.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

What you describe happens for me with clips set to piano https://resolume.com/support/en/clips#trigger-style , this is a feature ;) and can be set on both Composition and Clip level.

The column in this mode will only play for the time between the connect 1, and 0 messages. You can verify this by launching the column with the mouse, and you should see the piano clips disconnect when releasing the mouse button.

To have the clips played without them disconnecting immediately on connect release, you can either not send the /connect 0 message, or set clips to normal trigger style.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Blusound

Post by Blusound »

Zoltán wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 07:24 What you describe happens for me with clips set to piano https://resolume.com/support/en/clips#trigger-style , this is a feature ;) and can be set on both Composition and Clip level.

The column in this mode will only play for the time between the connect 1, and 0 messages. You can verify this by launching the column with the mouse, and you should see the piano clips disconnect when releasing the mouse button.

To have the clips played without them disconnecting immediately on connect release, you can either not send the /connect 0 message, or set clips to normal trigger style.
Maybe I was not good to explain the problem. I apologize for my english.
What's in the picture is what happens when the problem occurs. Before that I successfully triggered the same column for 30, 40, 50 or 100 times doing the column loops. The problems occurs randomly, sometimes after 2-3 loops, sometimes after 200 loops. The weird thing in the problem is that Arena receives the trigger correctly, start to trigger but then it stops. In the picture the stop happens after 2 frames of a 50 FPS video, so 40 milliseconds after the received trigger and it's not caused by the OSC message connect/0 that is received 117 milliseconds after connect/1 . The delay between the start triggering and the suddenly stop is caused by the 'Clip Start Offset' setting in the General Tab Preferencies. Unfortunatly this setting do not solve the problems but only moves when the problem occurs.
I tried to uncheck the setting 'Update clip panel on external trigger' but without fortune.
I thought that the problem may be related with some sort of eco on OSC comunication in a localhost situation. I had a similar problem with a similar application on ArtNet: random fault in localhost but running good on LAN.
I have to say that I own your application 'Linear OSC Controller' and although I doesn't fill very confortable to use it I never noticed a trigger fault on that, so many compliments!
I will try to continue the investigation.
Regards
Leonardo

Blusound

Post by Blusound »

ops I was wrong. The same happens with your software.
I wil try updating OS.
Leonardo

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

What are these options set to on your side, could you upload some screenshots?

Right click on the Clip
Képernyőfotó 2020-05-26 - 13.17.57.png
Composition menu
Képernyőfotó 2020-05-26 - 13.18.21.png

Blusound

Post by Blusound »

The problem is not related to the piano trigger style. It's a little Arena bug. The problem exist only if I try to make a column loops. If the command reaches Arena too close the end of the clip Arena does not read the command.I don't know exactly how little is this gap but with 50 milliseconds before or after the end of clip I never got an error.
Regards
Leonardo

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Could you attach your composition please (zipped) so we can try with that?
Thanks!

Blusound

Post by Blusound »

Hi
here it is.
regards
Leonardo
Attachments
streaming.avc
(64.53 KiB) Downloaded 328 times