Next column

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Periklis
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Next column

Post by Periklis »

Hello everyone,

I wonder if there is any possible way to create and assign a shortcut which will not play the Next but the following Next clip in a layer (or column in a Group). So from eg Column 1 i will be able to play Column 3 (instead of Column 2).

Thanks in advance

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Next column

Post by Arvol »

You can set this up using autopilot for clips when the finish playing. Besides that, you would need to build a sequencer that would output MIDI, DMX, or SC messages that only count odd numbers to do it manually.

What is the scenario that you would need this?

Periklis

Post by Periklis »

Hi Arvol,

I have a layer displaying Text only and each column carries a typed number from zero to 40 (0,1,2,3....39,40).

Each number should stay active for an uncertain period of time and it must change only after my command
(keyboard or MIDI shortcut). Obviously there is nothing to be "played" in this layer, meaning that there is no "Clip" (and no specific duration hence auto pilot cannot help).

Last but not least, i could need to step ahead (Next) 2 columns ahead at any random point.
eg I may need to add "2" when i am at column with Text "3" (so jump to "5") and then keep going one by one or i may have to add "2" when i am at column with Text "19".

Thanks

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Ok, I get what you're doing, but to maybe look at this from a different perspective, what is the end result you are wanting to achieve with this setup? What are you building? There might be another solution out there already. What is this setup for and what is it's function?
A timer?, a counter?, etc.

Periklis

Post by Periklis »

They are two different layers, each one dedicated to a team and a monitor, and each one delivers a scoring like information.

At the beginning score is 0 - 0 and then i am starting adding points manually on an uncertain interval (cannot be automated but triggered manually). Sometimes i need to add a team 1 point and some other 2 points instead. I have created a shortcut and by using Next i have achieved half my goal with steps of 1 point at a time. I am trying to understand if i could create a shortcut which would add 2 points at any time (in other words to act like moving two columns ahead)

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

@Zoltan
I've tried polling the following OSC address: /composition/layers/1/connectspecificclip
But it always just returns an int value of -1
If we could get that address to output the current column number that is playing (Or build a new OSC address for "CurrentConnectedClipNumber") we could then use the "+" 1 and "+" 2 function in an app like Chataigne or Bomes to build in keystroke commands that would allow for the number pad on a keyboard to do this requested function.
TBH, I would Love to have the ability to poll each layer for the currently connected clip position in the comp ;)

@Periklis
I've tried doing this exact thing you are but for an auctioneer all within Resolume, Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work.
I ended up writing my own app that would allow for me to use my number pad to add points up and output an OSC string to Resolume's text block.
I only needed a single layer as this was a price value that went up for a single item.
It sounds like you are trying to keep score of teams/players?
If so, how many teams/players are you managing score for?
And in how many point increments are you using? Just 1 and 2, or will there be times that 3, 4, or even 5 points need to be added at once?
I might be able to modify my App for what you're needing. How soon do you need it?

Periklis

Post by Periklis »

@Arvol

Teams are two and score increases/decreases by 1 or 2 points at a time. So for each team steps will be +/-1 or +/-2. There is no rush and i have no deadline.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Arvol wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 17:17 @Zoltan
I've tried polling the following OSC address: /composition/layers/1/connectspecificclip
/composition/layers/1/connectspecificclip is the button itself.
Arvol wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 17:17 I would Love to have the ability to poll each layer for the currently connected clip position in the comp ;)
Try
/composition/layers/*/clips/*/connected "?"
and
/composition/columns/*/selected "?"
Arvol wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 17:17 I ended up writing my own app that would allow for me to use my number pad to add points up and output an OSC string to Resolume's text block.
That would be what I'd try too.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 17:35
Arvol wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 17:17 @Zoltan
/composition/layers/1/connectspecificclip is the button itself.
Arvol wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 17:17 I would Love to have the ability to poll each layer for the currently connected clip position in the comp ;)
Try
/composition/layers/*/clips/*/connected "?"
and
/composition/columns/*/selected "?"
Arvol wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 17:17 I ended up writing my own app that would allow for me to use my number pad to add points up and output an OSC string to Resolume's text block.
That would be what I'd try too.
This is almost getting there haha. I like the * wildcards, that got it working, unfortunately it returns a value for every clip (which could be 100+ for some people's comp). I can do a lot of sorting via python to make this work, but it's not ideal. Would it be possible to add a feature in the future to have a single address return an int value of the clip in that layer? No biggie if that's too much, just thought it might help.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Periklis wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 17:27 @Arvol

Teams are two and score increases/decreases by 1 or 2 points at a time. So for each team steps will be +/-1 or +/-2. There is no rush and i have no deadline.
Well I'm bored, and my office is closed today so i'm modifying my app for you right now. Hoping to have something your way later this afternoon