Video Routing configuration?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
ceecrb1
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Video Routing configuration?

Post by ceecrb1 »

I'm a little confused with the video routing source option as a clip.

Say I have a compesition: 3840x1080
Layer 1 is 1920x1080 @0x0
Layer 2 is 1920x1080 @1920x0

If I set it to layer 2 and tell it it to only capture layer 1, Why does it take the size from the entire composition rather than just layer 1?
AKA the router clip is a 3840x1080 clip in a 1920x1080 layer with half of the space as black and no contents which is anchored to pixels 1920x540.
Surely the router should just capture the 1920x1080 area of layer 1 and nothing more?
Makes no sense.

Is this something that can be altered?

In this example it is a simple issue, but in other compositions with varying sizes of LED displays it then creates a lot of head scratching is size and location, especially as the scale slide is anchored to the center of the composition and not image, so it keeps re-positioning.

Surely it should be more like in hippotizer for example, where the source routed is cropped and takes size from the layer config and is just a media item of that size you can simply deal with within the layer?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Video Routing configuration?

Post by Zoltán »

Once a layer has gone through it's transform stage, it's the size of the composition, with all the effects after that applied at composition texture size.
There is no option currently to grab the layer from before transform.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

ceecrb1

Post by ceecrb1 »

So how about a setting in the video router clip to crop.. so then you could enter in the x and y size and position data again, to get the same result?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

There is a crop effect, and transform effect which you can use for that.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

ceecrb1

Post by ceecrb1 »

Still not a perfect solution.
The transform effect means that in my case of 2x 1080 screens you need to reposition X then double the scale. Bump it up to more screens and that %age scale will keep increasing, maybe to beyond an available option.
Better than nothing though, at least this is more reliable for getting pixel perfect sizes and positions.

Still feel like a clunky work around rather than something it should just naturally do anyway.

Thanks for your time!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Have you seen Slice transform yet?
https://resolume.com/support/en/transfo ... -transform

Will save you a lot video routers.

ceecrb1

Post by ceecrb1 »

Yep.
That only works when you always want the same image on an output.

I'm talking about: Say 2 (or more) led screens, various static slides where both screens are different.
Then if I play a video, both screens are the same video.

Playing the video twice (maybe many more times depending on the gig) is inefficient and there's no internal sync system or TC to sync them up, plus would need muting of audio of all but one.

The current system does not give a guaranteed pixel perfect solution to just copy media from one player/layer and just have it output on multiple slices/outputs for just one or some specific media items.

Shouldn't the video router media item be just that? Take a media clip from one layer and duplicate it.. which it doesnt.

Dont want to go on about it as in the end, I do have it working. ish, just like I said in first post. The scale is anchored to center of composition and not the layer, so takes a lot of playing with scale and x/y positions.
And yes, (for my previous example) hippotizer and resolume are not in the same price bracket, but surely the thought/design of a video router media clip would be to copy the CLIP/LAYER when that is seleceted, rather than complete composition, and a workaround is to just code it to crop to the size and position data it can read off the selected layer? Surely the code has access to those variables?

The suggested crop effect does nothing other than shutter out the black area already captured (pointless as not actually resizing the source) and transform effect just re-positions and scales.... which we already have as a media clip so just repeating what we already have.

I genuinely can't think of any situation in where you'd want multiple screens and a copy of the entire composition copied to one screen, other than a simple preview on external monitor, which is pointless as resolume has an inbuilt preview...

OR am I being completely dumb (entirely open to admit that it's me at fault and operator error) and missing a more normal way to do such an effect in resolume...
Where in the same show, I have 2 or more screens, some times they are all showing individual contents, some times a synced, perfect copy of just one clip?

Even just adding to the video router, the option of a source being a slice? So as currently is, composition, Layer 1, 2 etc, and add, slice 1, 2 etc to the list?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Slice transforms can get complex, you can have them on layers or clips, or even the composition. You can stack them and bypass/enable them, for different looks.
Have you seen this video about them yet?
phpBB [video]