Pro/Max Macs, DXV is still relevant ?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
zaniz
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Pro/Max Macs, DXV is still relevant ?

Post by zaniz »

Hi Mates !
I want to know if with the encode decode midia engine of the new Macs PRO/MAX, the DXV codec is still relevant for Mac users with the new Apple silicon.
I ask you this because I see friends scrubbing Prores timelines without any dropped frames on Resolve and FinalCut with lots of 4k and even 8k streams with effects, all very smooth. I know this other softwares are completely different stuff, but having an area on the new Apple chips dedicated only for this kind of encode/decode, in my infinite lack of knowledge, it seems that it can help on the live environment.
With this new chips, what I lost if I use only ProRes loops on my set ?
I really want to use ProRes to share loops between Resolume and VDMX, I ask the same question on the VDMX forum, but there about the HAP codec, their native compression. With the VDMX, my MBP Max maintain 120 fps with 3 4k layers of Prores loops and full of effects, my usual use.

Like always, many Thanks
Cheers from Brazil

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Pro/Max Macs, DXV is still relevant ?

Post by Arvol »

DXV is proprietary to the Resolume software. The apps you mentioned also don't do real time VJ'ing and can't do half the stuff Resolume does during live events. So it's really not the same comparison. If you just want media playback with no FX and no scrubbing you might have a point but that's not what Resolume does, so we will need an optimized codec for what we do.

zaniz

Post by zaniz »

thanks for your answer Arvol.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

The hardware prores encoder decoder is interesting. Also hardware h264 encoders/decoders are ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Menno
Team Resolume

Post by Menno »

DXV will remain relevant (unfortunately?), but you are right that these hardware decoders may enable some users to use prores for live performances.

If we're talking about 4K content then DXV NQ will enable you to seek/scrub the transport within a single frame of delay. HQ / hap / pjpg and prores will be able to respond in either two or three frames of delay. So, dxv is certainly more responsive, but maybe you dont notice it or dont need it at all.
Our video engine currently turns these delays into framedrops, so you'll see a reduction in framerate while scrubbing prores. We have a rework in the pipeline where these delays are kept as delays and thus the output framerate will remain unaffected, it'll be quite a while before this is ready to release though.

Another difference between dxv/hap and pjpg/prores is that dxv/hap retain their compression even on the gpu, while pjpg/prores are uploaded as uncompressed frames. This means we'll use less pci bandwidth to upload the frames. They also use less vram to be stored on the gpu. And finally, applying effects to them uses less vram bandwidth as well (though only the first effect, not the entire clip effect chain).
In terms of performance it's pretty much a a matter of determining the weakest link. When mac gpus aren't bottlenecked by cycles they often are limited by their vram size and bandwidth and so having frames stored in compressed format on the gpu is desirable.

I dont think there are any fundamental reasons why you should use one codec over another, it is up to you to determine where your priorities are. I can imagine sharing files is really convenient, is that enough of a reason to switch? Only you can tell..

zaniz

Post by zaniz »

Dear Menno, thanks for the amazing explanation ! This was the answer I needed.
For me, those 3 frames don’t matter much.
I will go slowly for the Prores way and wait for the rewrite of the pipeline.
For me is so nice to get loops direct from after or cinema and use them on Resolume and VDMX at the same time and don’t worry about recompressing them to DXV or HAP. Resolume can play HAP but the VDMX cannot play DXV, this is a kind of redemption.
And again, thanks for this great piece of code that is Resolume !

Cheers from Brazil