Solution found! - Reliable realtime BPM analyzing

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Solution found! - Reliable realtime BPM analyzing

Post by cosmowe »

Hey guys,
I just wanna share something with you.

Last week I was on a Job with a lot of spare time.
I've sat beside the light guy and we talked about how frustrating it can be do a sync light and video show for Top 40 Bands with inconsistent tempo.
"Tap Tap Tap Tap Re-Sync" every 30 seconds. meh

The audio technician behind us listened us and asked if we already tried the almost new tempo "Follow" function of Ableton Live.
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (6.74 KiB) Viewed 32797 times
Ableton added this feature to real-time sync the tempo of an Ableton project to a live played instrument insert. That way for example a percussionist plays the tempo he likes and the composition is following him instead of he the composition.

That sounded a bit to unreal to me.....nice feature...but this can't work well from my experience I gained over the years while trying to find a reliable real-time BPM analyzer.

But... like I said, I had a lot of spare time at the job so I installed Ableton Live and wired the stuff up.

Live Audio >> Focusrite Audiointerface IN >> Ableton Audio Track Audio from Ext. In

Make sure Ableton is in ► mode and "Follow" function is active.
You should now see the Bpm in Ableton keeping up with the audio from your input.

Install a virtual midi cable like LoopBe1

Let Ableton send the Midi Clock to Virtual LoopBe1 Cable + let Resolume receive the midi clock from the virtual LoopBe1 cable.

Voilá!

This technique in general is not special or new....the amazing thing here is that the f***ing algorithm of Ableton actually works outstandingly well, reliable and fast! ;) It's not very sensitive to inconsistent volume, it does not freak out when the music stops, it can even differentiate between music and non-beat stuff like spoken words between songs.

As you might know Resolume supports "Ableton Link". There are two downsides with that..... when linked, the option to resync a clip to the beginning of a four quarter beat in Resolume is disabled + The "Follow" functions in Ableton is not active. So I cannot use it here.

The only thing you need to do in Resolume is to Re-Sync to the beginning of a four quarter beat.

To be clear.... This technique will not keep you spot on sync the whole night but for round a bound 80%. And this is much much more than any other way I tried before.

I hope this information is helpful for someone.

Best wishes
cosmowe

/// EDIT 16-09-23:

Or you can use Pulse from HybridVisuals

Hybridconstructs - Pulse

phpBB [video]
Last edited by cosmowe on Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:18, edited 5 times in total.
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Solution found! - Reliable realtime BPM analyzing

Post by Arvol »

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Thanks for showing that.
But just by stepping through the first 30 minutes of their tutorial video it feels to me that using their tool don't actually makes it easier to follow the bpm....it adds a whole new layer of complexity to this task.
Even in their tutorial video the beat detection does not work properly. It's all over the place.

Arvol....please... give the "follow" function a shot. I am quite curious what you think.

Best wishes
cosmowe

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Will this work on the $99 version of Ableton? I might try to catch it on sale later and give it a shot.

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Yes, this function is available in the Intro, Standard and Suite version of Ableton 11.

murc
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by murc »

2bitpunk

Post by 2bitpunk »

While Resolume are fixing this... If you are on a Mac one simple (cheeky) trick is to send Ableton Link from VDMX to Resolume. If you don't have a VDMX licence just run it in demo mode. But for a more granular approach you can use VDMX built in Waveclock and Audio Analysis plugins to send MIDI commands or buy Waveclock/Wavetick from http://wavesum.net.

tawm

Post by tawm »

Just want to say THANK YOU, cosmowe!!! This tip is freaking awesome and solves not just a Resolume need for me but also provides a great way for me to sync up my lighting rig (via Enttec EMU).

It's working really great and I agree with you, it has some of the most accurate beat detection I've seen!

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

@tawm
you are very welcome ;) ... keep in mind that there still might be a tiny midiclock flaw with Resolume where it could randomly jumps up to 500 bpm and stays there untill you unlink and relink the midiclock input.

I wish you a lovely day...

cosmowe

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Well Well Well.... Joris Joris Joris :P .....you sneaky talented b**** ;)

So then, Hybrid Visuals just released a new software product to stay in sync at your show:
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (3.72 KiB) Viewed 27591 times
Hybridconstructs - Pulse

phpBB [video]

I was able to test the trail for round a bound 40 min now and my first impression is "wow"!
It actually does what it promises and also solves the resync issue when using the Ableton Link Protocol.

Surely I have to test Pulse for longer than 40 min...but what I get from only 40 min. is a very straight forward streamlined experience.

Thanks Joris - Awesome work!