Audio Volume Gate

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
corlian
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Audio Volume Gate

Post by corlian »

Hi --

I've recently switched from Magic to Arena+Wire and it's going great. Really great!

There are a few things Magic does that it seems Resolume doesn't, as expected with any software.

My projects are all live-audio reactive, so the biggest thing I'm missing at the moment is audio amplitude gating. It doesn't seem to exist in Resolume, forgive me if I've missed it.

It's a huge deal for me. My existing projects have many elements that trigger only when, for a common example, the sub frequencies reach their peak. So far, my Resolume parameters follow the sub frequencies entirely, and so there's a lot of jitter and rumble in the effects at lower audio volumes.

Would it be possible to add an audio gate to the FFT listener? Ideally post-filter. Meaning, the linked parameter won't move until the volume has reached a particular threshold.

I imagine it's possible somehow via Wire, though it would be inconvenient or even impossible to wrap every Resolume effect in a Wire patch just to get that kind of basic reactivity.

...I have many more audio-related (and non-audio) suggestions that I think are important, yet a gate is the most immediate and crucial to me, and I think the most universally useful.

Thanks!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Audio Volume Gate

Post by Arvol »

Maybe add in a VST to said clip or layer?

corlian

Post by corlian »

That would be wonderful...does it do that though? I am under the impression that you can only use VSTs on the audio output from Resolume, not after the FFT input on specific parameters.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

No, I use VST's on (Clip) inputs all the time.
Last edited by Arvol on Tue Aug 02, 2022 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Well, I can't seem to find a way to add a VST to the input FFT, just the clips FFT.
I wonder if we could get an option for that under composition? I know they guys are working on the audio system so maybe they could add this to their list, as well adding VST support for wire?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

corlian wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:24 Would it be possible to add an audio gate to the FFT listener? Ideally post-filter. Meaning, the linked parameter won't move until the volume has reached a particular threshold.
Sounds like a job for Envelopes https://resolume.com/support/en/envelopes
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

corlian

Post by corlian »

Sounds like a job for Envelopes https://resolume.com/support/en/envelopes
Ah nice! For some reason I thought Envelope and External FFT were mutually exclusive in that menu. Looks like Envelopes work quite well for this!