virtual display outputs

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
burner
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

virtual display outputs

Post by burner »

I working with large pixel walls and look good protocol to implement custom driver to those. Resolume supports NDI but that protocol is closed source. It also supports also artnet but that protocol it self is is glue over snot patched with slime. So question is that is there support for some kind raw pixel data protocol (like dmx but less compat glue) or lightly packet protocols (like mjpeg stream)?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: virtual display outputs

Post by Arvol »

I'm not sure what you're after? Does HDMI output from your computer, or DMX output to a lighting controller not get you what you need? NDI has a SDK you can get for free btw, not closed source last time I checked.

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: virtual display outputs

Post by resolumejunkie »

burner wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 14:19 is there support for some kind raw pixel data protocol (like dmx but less compat glue) or lightly packet protocols (like mjpeg stream)?
Interesting question. The answer is, of course, no, unless Syphon meets your requirements. But, it’s dying or maybe already dead as the world has moved on. Uncompressed video is many many gigabits per second.. 4K60 8-bit 4:4:4 is something like 10Gbps. So, I’m not sure even sure how you’d pump that around, tbh. Syphon was really only ever intended for use on a single machine, not across a network.

The closest thing that comes to mind as a standard, besides NDI, is the forthcoming IPMX standard…
https://ipmx.io/

Another approach: roll your own video-over-IP hardware with Xilinx Zynq! : )
https://www.xilinx.com/applications/broadcast.html

Unless you have both the time and the money to do something really fancy with IPMX or Zynq, or both, I think non-virtual outputs (i.e. - baseband video) are your best bet for now, or just plain ‘ol NDI.